Making the Right Choice: Deciding Between Physics & Computer Information Systems

In summary: Yes! for now is it possible that if you take CIS with those courses, you can take Physics as a major in 4-years university?
noman.rasheed
Hey guys!

I am in community college, and this will be my first semester. But I am basically confused in making perfect choice for my major. And the reason is I am good at Math, but bad at Chemistry and Biology.

Following are the courses required to obtain an Associate degree in respective major.

All I have are two option; either choose Physics or go for Computer Information Systems;

Physics:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/448x667q90/540/wCRQVY.png [Broken]

Computer Information Systems:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/448x667q90/901/emahOP.png [Broken]

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's up brotha? I am not entirely sure what your question is. These are two vastly different course requirements for two vastly different fields. There isn't really any overlap between CIS and Physics.

Are you trying to figure out the best career prospects? Or are you curious which would be an easier path through school?

If you could narrow down your questions/requests I could provide you with more precise advice.

Thanks homie!

Peace.

ActionPotential said:
What's up brotha? I am not entirely sure what your question is. These are two vastly different course requirements for two vastly different fields. There isn't really any overlap between CIS and Physics.

Are you trying to figure out the best career prospects? Or are you curious which would be an easier path through school?

If you could narrow down your questions/requests I could provide you with more precise advice.

Thanks homie!

Peace.

Well, I do know that I can my make future with any of these fields, and Elon Musk is a live example for me if I choose Physics. But the situation here is that when I will transfer to 4-years university I have to take Chemistry too, and this is something which stops me and made me think once more.

My basics are not strong for Biology and Chemistry.
And I would like to listen your advise on best career prospects, and easier path through school, too.

Thank you!

noman.rasheed said:
Well, I do know that I can my make future with any of these fields, and Elon Musk is a live example for me if I choose Physics. But the situation here is that when I will transfer to 4-years university I have to take Chemistry too, and this is something which stops me and made me think once more.

My basics are not strong for Biology and Chemistry.
And I would like to listen your advise on best career prospects, and easier path through school, too.

Thank you!

You realize Elon Musk stayed an extra year after his Bachelors to get a BS in economics at Wharton in UPenn. Are you planning on spending another year on getting a rounding out degree from one of the top business schools in the world as well?

Also he got to start a company around the time of an internet frenzy which allowed easier access to capital.

The gap between physics and CIS is much larger than physics and actual computer science. Doesn't you community college have a track for Computer Science? Computer science majors take nearly the same core math and science classes as physics majors, so you could pursue both at you community college while you decide.

esuna said:
The gap between physics and CIS is much larger than physics and actual computer science. Doesn't you community college have a track for Computer Science? Computer science majors take nearly the same core math and science classes as physics majors, so you could pursue both at you community college while you decide.

True!

I was thinking the same that I will have calculus and other stuffs in CIS so that after my community college, I will choose Physics.
OK! for now is it possible that if I take CIS with those courses, can I take Physics as a major in 4-years university?

What is the difference between physics and computer information systems?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. On the other hand, computer information systems (CIS) is a field that focuses on the use of technology to manage and analyze data in various organizations.

What are the career options for someone with a degree in physics or computer information systems?

For someone with a degree in physics, career options include research and development, teaching, and working in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. For someone with a degree in computer information systems, career options include software development, database administration, and information security.

Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

This can vary depending on the specific job market and industry. However, in general, both physics and computer information systems are in demand and have good job prospects. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,850 in 2020, while the median annual wage for computer and information systems managers was $151,150.

Can someone pursue both physics and computer information systems?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both physics and computer information systems. For example, a physicist could work in a research laboratory that utilizes advanced computer systems for data analysis. Or a computer information systems professional could work in a technology-based company that specializes in physics-related products or services.

What skills are necessary for success in physics and computer information systems?

For success in physics, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and scientific principles, are necessary. For success in computer information systems, one needs to have a strong technical background and be proficient in programming languages, database management, and data analysis. Additionally, skills such as critical thinking, communication, and adaptability are important in both fields.