1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or engineering

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    I have always been leaning towards computer engineering till now. Now I feel that physics would be more exciting and would open more doors. How is the job market of physics vs computer engineering. I plan to do a double major and now I'm thinking it might be electrical engineering. Would a physics and ee degree be the way to go? I'm looking for answers strictly on a job basis. Like which has more jobs and which is more flexible to careers that are parallel. I don't need guidance on what I find interesting anymore. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    Well, engineering seems to be the most insured route to go. You can browse through the earlier threads and see that there are a decent number of recently graduated people with no job because selling your physicists degree tend to take more effort than selling an engineering degree.

If you want a job right after a b.s. engineering is probably the easiest of the two and ee or ce will provide you with a good number of choices.
  4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    I was thinking I would take EE first since I have to make that switch from CE. I think I'm really lucky because it seems that all classes will transfer over since both fields are so close. Then I guess I got a few years to decide what next. Thanks
  5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

With just a BS in Physics, you are less likely to find a job as compared with just a BS in engineering.

However, with a double major in Physics and EE, or EE and CE, then it's a different story. They are probably more equally likely than one would think.

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Double major in physics and engineering is hell. Unless you're prepared to stay in school for a long time, that is.
  7. Feb 13, 2008 #6
    How long is a long time exactly? I just love to learn and I want a great job that is exciting and pays well. Also, to have job security.
  8. Feb 13, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

Well how many classes are you prepared to take per semester in order to fulfill the double major requirements? If you're thinking the standard 4-5 classes, you're definitely going to have to stay in school for a year or 2 longer than a standard single degree course. If you're taking more like 7-8, then the question is, are you able to cope with the workload?
  9. Feb 13, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Very few people with a BS in Physics are able to find jobs in physics.
    2) Virtually all people with a BS in either CpE or EE are able to find good jobs in those fields.
    3) EE and CpE are so similar that there is no point in double majoring in them.
    4) A double major in physics will not help you find a job in CpE or EE.
    5) The only sensible reason to study physics is for love of the subject.
    6) Physics does not pay nearly as well as engineering.
    7) Engineering provides much greater job security than does physics, at least at the BS level.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?