1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or math minor?

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    sup physicsforums, chem guy here, not sure whether I want to do a minor in physics or maths.

I'm mostly interested in physics for the QM part (pchem was fairly unremarkable, lots of unproven formulae etc.), but I doubt I'd have enough credit points left to get the necessary math (PDEs, complex variable etc.) background as well as the QM and experimental units. Those final year labs look really nice though - from my experiences with chem, I'm perfectly fine with 6 (or 12) hour labs, huge reports, error analysis and following the train of references.

Pure maths is pretty cool, although so far I've only seen some basic real analysis and group theory, It seems like it would be a better overarching learning experience - but then I wouldn't get to screw around in the labs :(. And anyway, it doesn't cover too much stuff relevant to what I want to do, and I know it's in a whole different league compared to science - but it's still interesting.

At face value applied maths seems like the obvious choice, but the only part I really care about enough to learn is PDEs.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2
    Did you have a question? I don't see one in your post above.. =O

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    Question is in the title :)

Some other guy told me that chem + phys is pretty good for inorganic. I've got a lot of remarks that people who do chem + phys end up as materials engineers - might be something worth looking into.

I should probably reiterate my concern - while I do like doing lab work, I really feel that I haven't been getting enough rigorous theoretical knowledge. Question in the title etc. etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook