1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or Mathematical

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    I'm studying the first year in physics university and I want to follow the career in QFT and this area requires a lot of math. In my university a lot of students who want to study theoretical physics are studying mathematics, and then to graduate school in physics. It will be a good choice? Begin studying mathematics in college.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2
    I would definetely recommend studying physics if you want to go to grad school for physics. And pick up any extra math along the way, or do a double major.

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3
    Really, physics is applied math – you can't get that far in physics without knowing quite a bit of math, especially quantum physics (quantum means that something is quantitative which means that it can be derived into something numerical… hence, math). However, I would try to focus on learning by doing – when you realize you've come up on a stumbling block that can be solved by knowing more math, learn more math. I also find that learning math programmatically ( http://www.sagemath.org/ is an excellent and powerful resource) instead of using random Greek letters is a whole lot easier, or would be if there were more resources that used that approach. Math on pen and paper has been obsolete for a couple decades at least in most professional physics careers (my uncle is an astronomer and he has been coding for 40-50 years).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook