1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or Something Else?

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

This is my first post on Physics Forums, and I hope for it to be the first of many. I am currently 25 years old and an accountant (with a bachelor's degree) working for a public accounting firm. I have a choice to make soon, which is to continue with this course of work or to re-apply for college and move on to another career. I am extremely interested in space and science, from the exploration of our own solar system to the search for the Higgs Boson. I know that the physics field would be difficult, but I feel that I would enjoy it much more than the financial sector (which I contend is quite boring and I am simply not interested in money or markets).

I have not had much education in calculus (I had a business calculus class where we did cover basic calc, but I do not believe it counts). I have always done well in my math classes, catching on quite quick with algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

I have been watching lectures online for the past two months dealing with classic and quantum theory in physics, and I find it all quite interesting.

I suppose my question(s) to all of you would be: do you have any advice about the physics field? What kind of mentality and mental fortitude will I need to succeed in this field? And what kind of job opportunities are available for physicists these days?

Thank you all!

-Adrian

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    Most of the physics phds I know are employed in finance, management consulting, or insurance. In short- you're likely to spend several years learning a subject you enjoy, you aren't likely to be able to make a long-term career out of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook