1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics paper on the conservation of energy

1. Dec 16, 2003 #1
    I'm writing a physics paper on the conservation of energy. I used the topic pole vaulting to depict the conservation of energy. This is what I have in my report.
    I'm not 100% sure if what I have is correct, but I believe it to be. Would you please read over the information and make sure that it is valid?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're all fine and dandy until you get to this point:

As the pole vaulter falls, he/she definitely does trade GPE for KE, and continues to do so allll the way down until he/she smacks into the ground.

At that point, all the energy of his/her motion is converted into heat and sound and flying sand.

Once he/she is back on the ground, he/she possess no more GPE. If he/she is also no longer moving, she possess no more KE either. She gave up all her energy when she collided with the ground.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?