Physics Paradoxes: Electromagnetism Questions

• Thread starter simpleton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about electromagnetism. The first question involves the effect of a moving inertial frame on the magnetic fields produced by charged particles. The second question considers the interaction between two charged particles moving in different directions. Both questions require considering the effects of Special Relativity on electromagnetism and the transformations necessary to account for them. It is also mentioned that calculating the magnetic field of a moving point mass requires factoring in the retarded potentials.
simpleton
Hi,

I have two questions about electromagnetism that I would like to ask. The 1st one is as follows:

I have two point charged particles A and B a distance x apart. A and B exert a force on each other by Coulomb's Law, but a force is exerted on the particles to keep them apart at exactly x distance, thus making the system remain in equilibrium.

If the particles are in a stationary inertial frame, then there is nothing wrong. However, consider the case where A and B are in an inertial frame moving at constant velocity, and we are viewing the particles at a rest frame. In that case, A and B will produce magnetic fields, and these magnetic fields will also affect each other. If they have like charges, they will move towards each other. If they have unlike charges, they will repel charges. However, if we were to analyse the motion of A and B in the moving inertial frame, then A and B will be stationary and there will be no magnetic field. So A and B will be stationary.

How can I get 2 different answers by just taking a different inertial frame? Shouldn't all inertial frames give me the same answer?

The 2nd question is:

Consider the case where where I have 2 charged point particles. A is at the origin (0, 0) moving in the x-direciton, while B is at (0, a), where a is some arbitrary value. B is moving in the y-direction. We ignore analysis of electric fields. Since A is directly on the line on which B is travelling, A will not experience any magnetic field and thus will move straight. However, B will experience a magnetic field by the moving A. How do you explain these by using Newton's Third Law or something? Why don't the forces balance out?

I got quite confused here :S. Do I have some misconception somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that a distance moving relative to you may appear to be shorter due to relativistic length contraction (depending its orientation). I seem to recall that this exactly offsets the effects of a magnetic field created by a moving charge, so that the configuration makes physical sense in all frames. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_magnet_and_conductor_problem" .

(I'm sure the forum members with in-depth EM and special relativity experience will be able to answer more thoroughly than just a Wikipedia link, but I thought you might be interested in the article.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Electromagnetism is Lorentz invariant, and not Galilei invariant. Actually the formulas for Special relativity where known in electromagnetism before Einstein. So you have to transform all the fields when you move into another inertial frame, and also do the length contraction. Then everything fixes itself, sorry that I don't know the details now. Btw are you sure you know how to calculate the magnetic field of a moving point mass? Do you factor in the retarded potentials? I am quite sure that electrostatics is not enough since the charge distribution changes.

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges. Electric fields act on other charges, while magnetic fields act on moving charges.

3. How does an electromagnetic wave propagate?

An electromagnetic wave propagates through the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. The changing electric field creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn creates a changing electric field, and so on. This creates a self-sustaining wave that can travel through space.

4. Can a magnetic field exist without an electric field?

Yes, a magnetic field can exist without an electric field. This can occur in situations where there are no charges present, such as in the space between two parallel wires carrying equal and opposite currents.

5. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations in electromagnetism?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are significant because they unify and explain a wide range of electromagnetic phenomena, and they also paved the way for the development of technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.