Are Physicists Just Like Everyone Else?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, physicists can be perceived as arrogant and narrow-minded individuals who are confident in their own beliefs. However, it is difficult to generalize their personality traits as there are different types of physicists with varying characteristics. Some may be absent-minded or eccentric, while others may be meticulous and bold. There is no specific "physics personality" and success in the field does not necessarily require a certain psychology.
zeronem said:
I don't like Biology.

To me Biology is not Mathematical. It could be Mathematical, but apparently it doesn't want to be applied in that subject. If all possibilities there probably are some areas of Biology that require some Mathematical Formalism just havn't found that out yet due that I don't care much for Biology. In fact Nash's Equilibrium, I heard has some break throughs in Evolutionary Biology.

I don't like anything that doesn't require understanding some Mathematical Formalism. I won't buy a Physics book if it doesn't have the Mathematics in it. I don't know why, I'm picky about those things.

I havn't heard many stories of weird physicists except the ones on Einstein. However when I look at the Mathematicians like Johanns Lambert, Paul Erdos, John Nash, Norbert Weiner, Kurt Godel, and many others. There interacting in there own reality created by Mathematics while at the same time dwelling on this reality we all share. The Physicist are in love with the Reality we all share, yet they force the reality created by Mathematicians into the Picture of the reality they love. I think perhaps they find the Universe is in fact as complex and uncomprehensible as the Mathematician's reality is.

In much of the way, I am joyed by the idea that Pure Mathematics itself has developed due to the outstanding Mathematical ideas in Theoretical Physics. In a way, Theoretical Physicists are Mathematicians. I've always believed this and it remains a personal opinion of mine. I'm pretty sure it is a personal opinion of some.

My goal is to get a Phd in Mathematics. However I wouldn't mind putting a little Theoretical Physics in my life as a Hobby.

This is lovely - I am not being ironic. Have you tried proving any theorems? Get an upper division textbook in say algebra, groups or rings or something, and try to do the theorems in the excercises. In the first chapters, the students the book is aimed at can't know much more than you do about the subject, so it's a fair test of your native mathematical chops.

In any case, don't let the others talk you aout of your personal taste for math and more math! It's your life!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, I've actually grown fond of surrounding myself with Math Books. I continuously do the various exercises the books have to offer. I continue to move on, and hopefully I can make a contribution to Math.

BTW, Happy Birthday!

This seems like an odd topic to be discussing. The physicists of my acquaintance have been an interesting variety of people. I know one guy who got his PhD in nuclear physics...we went to high school together...wonderfully well-balanced sort of guy, well-liked by all, you'd have never pegged him as a physicist (though, last I heard, he was getting out of physics, because he couldn't stand the people he had to work with in the field...I'm not sure what he meant by that because I never asked him to elaborate). Another was a bit stranger...sort of fit the bill of your typical science geek. Not completely inept in the social realm, but awkward. Then, another person lived down the hall from me in the dorms...she was just a bit odd. Very introverted, extreme self-discipline, challenged when it came to socializing with anyone who wasn't a bit of science geek themselves. And then there have been the handful of super-arrogant fellows I've run into, but mostly I think they are masking insecurity. Those who seem the most arrogant also seem to come across as the least knowledgeable, yet most willing to tell everyone what they think, no matter how little that really is.

Bottom line, physicists are people too, even if some won't admit it. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Bottom line, physicists are people too, even if some won't admit it. :biggrin:

Human? ME?

:surprise:

NEVER!
:devil: