1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Physics PhD interviews

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    so, i have a few interviews for PhDs in particle physics over the next month and i'm looking for some information on what generally happens at a PhD interview. If anyone would like to share their experiences, interviewers or interviewees, i would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not too worried about the general interview stuff - i'm pretty confident and enthusiastic and generally knowledgeable about the subject (compared to my peers) - its the hard physics questions they might ask that concerns me. With my undergrad degree I find it easy enough to learn everything and do well in the exams, and I'm on track for a 1st, but i'm not so good at answering random questions off the top of my head. Basically I'm worried they're going to ask me to derive something or solve a problem and I just won't be able to do it, even though given 5 minutes on my own I would probably work it out. Is this a reasonable to concern to have, and is it common to be asked to solve or derive stuff in a PhD interview?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    I've always been told that highly technical questions are seldom asked at a PhD admission interview, but I could be wrong. I hope they don't ask really tough questions, because I am going to go through the same process in upcoming months.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?