Post-Bacc Programs for Preparing for Physics Graduate School

• Thread starter darwiniac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, post-bacc programs are available for those who want to prepare for medical school or enhance their application. For those interested in graduate study in physics, options include taking classes to make up prerequisites, finding a similar program in the field of physics, or applying for an applied physics graduate program. However, these programs may require additional coursework and may not provide the same level of education as traditional physics programs.
darwiniac
So some of you are no doubt familiar with post-bacc programs designed to prepare people for med school who didn't get the necessary scientific background or who did poorly, grade-wise (at least in the US; no idea how they do things elsewhere). For those who aren't, they're basically a year-long program which can cover anything from biology, calc, and o-chem, for those who didn't study the sciences at all, to ones with med-school level biochemistry, physiology, or immunology, for those who want to enhance their application.

I actually recently graduated with a degree in biology and am kind of regretting it. Towards the last part of my degree I had been developing a personal interest in physics, to the point where I was seriously considering changing my major, but I'd had so many credit hours invested towards bio and just wanted to get out in four years. I feel like that was a mistake. Maybe it's just a case of the grass being greener on the other side, I don't know.

I haven't really decided exactly what to do with my life, but I'd like to know what my options realistically are to prepare myself for graduate study in physics as it stands. I'd like to avoid going in for a whole additional bachelor's, not least because I've already got four years worth of student loans to pay off and I feel much more than another year (and I'm sure it would take rather more than a year to finish a second bachelor's) would really be too much.

I know some masters' programs will admit people with some deficiencies in their prerequisites to make up while attending, but I've got some pretty serious deficiencies as far as actual classes go; just two semesters of intro calc-based phys on my transcript.

Just taking classes might be an option, but it would be hard, as all the local colleges hold most of their physics classes during the day, when I'm working full-time. I'd pretty much have to find a different (night-time) job, and it was hard enough in this economy just to get my current one.

I know BU has its LEAP program for engineering, and there are, as I mentioned before, the post-bacc programs for medicine, are there any similar things out there in the field of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
the main problem with comparing the medical post-baccs to any physics post-bacc is the physics program would need to be far more comprehensive. the medical post-bacc can be done entirely (or almost) at any junior/community college.
with the physics program, you basically need to take the entire physics program, which to really understand, takes at leasat two years. you don't need to get a whole second bachelors.

the important classes would be classical/analytical mechanics, E&M, quantum, and stat mech/thermo. plus all the math needed as well. and these are rigorous, upper div classes compared to the pre-med classes for medical post baccs.

also, any graduate physics program, for the first year, will likely just teach you those same topics, but at a higher level. i think zapperz has a lengthy post regarding the level (ie textbook) you would be using for said programs.

however, not all hope is lost. look into something called "applied physics" graduate school. they're for people who are more interested in connecting physics with engr, but since (for example) a mat sci engr or chem major doesn't know quantum that well, the courses are structured accordingly. so long as you arent interested in particle physics, you should be able to get in. although you may need to spend a year taking math and some physics courses to get in/show you can do the analytical coursework.

FYI though, you'll noticed a lot of the programs have two classes for every requirement. (ie. you could take phys 501 or appl physics 501. for XXXX class requirement.) the reason is that everyone who majored in physics would take the physics graduate one and use the physics graduate textbook. on the other hand, all the electrical engr and chemEs and what not would take an advance, but still undergraduate version of the course. so you are not getting "the same education".

i hope this all makes sense. my head is bouncing around right now and you may not understand. =/

1. What is a post-baccalaureate program?

A post-baccalaureate program is a program designed for students who have already completed their undergraduate degree, but wish to continue their education in a specific field. These programs are typically taken before applying to graduate school and can help students strengthen their academic background or gain additional experience in a particular subject area.

2. How can a post-baccalaureate program help me prepare for physics graduate school?

Post-baccalaureate programs in physics are specifically designed to help students strengthen their knowledge and skills in the subject before applying to graduate school. These programs often include advanced coursework, research opportunities, and mentorship from faculty to help students develop a strong foundation in physics and prepare for the rigors of graduate school.

3. Are post-baccalaureate programs only for students with a physics background?

No, post-baccalaureate programs in physics are open to students from a variety of academic backgrounds. While some programs may require a certain level of physics coursework, others may offer introductory courses for students with little to no prior experience in the subject. It is important to research different programs to find one that aligns with your academic background and goals.

4. Can I apply to graduate school without completing a post-baccalaureate program?

Yes, completing a post-baccalaureate program is not a requirement for applying to graduate school in physics. However, it can be a beneficial option for students who may need to strengthen their academic background or gain additional research experience before applying to competitive graduate programs.

5. How long does a post-baccalaureate program typically last?

The length of a post-baccalaureate program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's academic goals. Some programs may last one year, while others may take two or more years to complete. It is important to research different programs and their curriculum to determine which one best fits your timeline and goals.