1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics practice problems

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    physics practice problems....

when do you guys usually find time to do practice problems...i mean, between having 3 labs and A LOT of other reading to do I am having trouble finding time to do practice problems for physics(1st college physics course)...I usually just read through the physics text trying to grasp the main concepts and then its time to go to class or finish homework assignments for other classes...I am trying as hard as I can to keep my Fridays and Saturdays workload relatively easy, but I am starting to get the feeling that I might have to just suck it up and do physics...I know right, fun life??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Re: physics practice problems....

If you don't work problems, you won't learn the material. If you have too much work to do this, I would suggest dropping a class so you can be sure to get the most out of the classes you stay with.

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3

What is your schedule like? How many classes are you taking this quarter/semester?

I usualy find time either in the early morning, in between classes or later in the evening on the weekdays so that my weekends are free.

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

6am-8am: Workout
    8:30am-9:00: Breakfeast
    9:00am-9:45am: Review Notes
    10:00-10:50: Physics
    11:00-11:50: Organic Chem
    12:00-12:50: Free Period
    1:00-2:15: Read for my poly sci class
    2:30-3:45: Poly Sci
    4:00-4:50: Genetics
    5:00-7:00: Review Notes and Eat Dinner
    7:20- 9:30: Physics Lab
    9:30- whenever: Look over notes for the next set of classes

this is what my schedule is MTF

6. Sep 23, 2008 #5

There seems to be plenty of note-reviewing and looking over notes. Obviously you need to do these things but perhaps do them in conjunction with problems - if you're looking over notes for classes the night before and then actually sitting in a class and taking the notes, you probably have a good grasp of the concepts. An hour in the morning and an hour round-about dinner then, doing problems, is going to cement the concepts in itself. Since you're going to labs at 7:20pm! (shocked!) you've obviously got a lot on your plate -- might be worth spending a few hours on sunday doing problems for your classes

7. Sep 23, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree. You should add in some practice problems during the time you review our physics notes. That way you can practice applying the problems as you learn them.

8. Sep 23, 2008 #7

thanks for the advice!! when i do read my physics text there usually is some kind of example word problem that i work through, but they seem sooooo easy in comparison to what my professor puts on his exams...i think that it all comes down to just spending 3-4 hours on saturday and 2-3 hours on sunday....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?