1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - prism in water

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If one immersed the prism in water (nw=1.33), would it be possible to obtain total internal reflection within the prism? Explain.

2. Relevant equations

n1sin(θc)=n2sin(90o), where nglass=1.5.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to solve for the unknown angle θc. Total internal reflection happens at θ1 >= θc. But I can't find which is n1 and n2, and which angle is which. And I am not even sure I am using the right equation for this problem. Is this problem having to do with calculation or related to theory or law? I would be very appreciated if you give me a hand.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

n1 is the refractive index on the side of θc (i.e. the water side), while n2 is the refractive index on the side of the 90 degrees. That said, you need to show us what the prism looks like. That makes a big difference to the answer of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook