1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics prob 2 Help needed

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    Physics prob 2 ... Help needed!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Like i sayed in my other posts this is probably easy but my teacher doesn't teach us anything so i don't have a clue how to do this. Can someone please explain how to do it?

A window washer pushes a sponge up a vertical window at a constant speed by applying a force. The sponge has a mass of .800 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sponge and window is u_k=0.253. Determine the magnitude of the applied force, and the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the window on the sponge.

*There is a 20 degree angle( i put the pic below)

2. Relevant equations

F(y) = weight of sponge + Frictional force

F(f) = u*F(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

ok so what i did was that i took the sin 70 which if i'm not mistaken should equal F(x).
    sin 70=F(x)

Then I put this in the equation for frictional force.

After that I put it in to the equation for F(y).
    F(y)=weight of sponge + F(f)

My plan is to do the pythagorian therum to find the applied force, but I want to make sure i am doing it right so far.

Attached Files:

• p.bmp
      File size:
      292.6 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Physics prob 2 ... Help needed!!!

F(x) = F * sin(70)

where F is magnitude of the applied force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?