Physics problem books and texts

In summary, the problem books are great for skill development, but the text books are better for understanding the concepts.
saubhik
Hi all,
i've been searching for a great problem books in physics. Right now, I've been solving I.E. Irodov's Problems in general physics, Mir Publishers. Some of the problems are great. Its fun solving it.
I want to know, if there are many more such problem books, requiring great skill at problem solving. Can you guys help me out? I love tough problems, the tougher the problems, the more the fun.
I've also been looking for good physics texts to supplement the problems. Feynman lectures are classic and I love it. But I am looking for more precise texts with a bit more mathematics. I've been able to get Irodov's Fundamental Laws of Mechanics for the mechanics part. The book is a great asset for honing problem-solving skills.
I've Fundamentals of Physics (Resnick,Halliday,Walker), but the concepts are not much clear and some important concepts are missing/overlooked in that book. In a nutshell, I don't like the book much.
So, what according to you guys is the ultimate toughest physics problem book and an equally great physics text with terrific explanation of concepts. I maybe asking a bit much, but I hope you can help me.
I hope you guys can understand my level of knowledge in physics. I am 18 yrs old.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that!
What book do you recommend for problems?

saubhik said:
Thanks for that!
What book do you recommend for problems?

The problems in Physics will be a good start; however, you may find some overlap with the problems from Fundamentals of Physics.

After you're comfortable with the mechanics problems in Physics, you can work through Introduction to Mechanics. The problems in this textbook are much more enlightening than the typical introductory problems.

Sir Krotov

http://www.flipkart.com/science-everyone-aptitude-test-problems-physics-1/p/itmdytgby9abebha

buy this book

apart from that
Physics Galaxy by ashish arora is good with its examples and subjective questions just a mixture from the big names.

Last edited by a moderator:
intwo is very right on his suggestion.

Be clear in concept, there are no limit of Problems in Physics. If you done I E Irodov then visit http://www.mirtitles.org/ there you find many Russian Problem Books translated to English. After that download Physics Olympiad Problems and solve them.

If you want to buy some book then buy 200 Puzzling Problems in Physics by Cambridge University Press.

The problem sets for Ramamurti Shankar's Yale introductory physics courses are in the course material downloads fire reach class here: http://oyc.yale.edu/physics

Lectures of his for both courses are on YouTube, as well. Just search YouTube for "Shankar physics" without the quotes.

There is a book version of the first half already, and the second is coming out next month. Personally, I like them. They're mostly just the lectures in print form. I recommend you watch the lectures. If you want a nice printed copy of them for reference, the books are fairly reasonably priced, about $23usd for each of the two volumes.

Concepts of physics volume 1 and volume 2 by H C Verma. Available at Amazon and Abebooks - this will help you with both your stated purposes.

What are some widely recommended physics problem books and texts?

Some of the most recommended physics problem books and texts include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Quantum Physics" by Stephen Gasiorowicz.

What level of difficulty are most physics problem books and texts suitable for?

Most physics problem books and texts are suitable for undergraduate and graduate level students. However, there are some introductory texts that are suitable for high school students as well.

What are some key features to look for in a good physics problem book or text?

A good physics problem book or text should have clear and concise explanations, a wide range of problems with varying difficulty levels, and detailed solutions for each problem. It should also have relevant examples and applications, and be organized in a logical and easy-to-follow manner.

Are there any physics problem books and texts specifically designed for standardized tests like the SAT or GRE?

Yes, there are several physics problem books and texts that are specifically designed for standardized tests like the SAT or GRE. Some examples include "Cracking the SAT Physics Subject Test" by The Princeton Review and "GRE Physics Subject Test" by Kaplan Test Prep.

Do physics problem books and texts cover all areas of physics or are they focused on specific topics?

There are physics problem books and texts that cover all areas of physics, but many are focused on specific topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, or quantum mechanics. It is important to choose a book or text that aligns with your specific learning goals and needs.