1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem find displacement.

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A duck has a mass of 2.5 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of the water exerts a force of 20.0 N in a direction of 52 degrees south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is .11 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction ( relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes 3.0 s while the forces are acting.

angle=52 degrees
    F=.20 N
    Mass of duck=2.5 kg

2. Relevant equations
    Acos 52 degrees
    A sin 52 degrees

x=Vox(t) + Ax (t)^2/ 2

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out the x component, and I got .20cos 52=.123 N
    Then I added .10 N + .123 =.223 N
    Then I figured out the acceleration .233 N/ 2.5 kg= .089 m/s^2
    (if your getting a different answer then me it's because I rounded off, but I'm still using the exact numbers on my calculator such as

Then I used that kinematic equation x= .11 m/s (3.0 s) + (.089 m/s^2) (3.0s)^2/2 = .7305 m

In the back of my book the answer is .78 meters. What did I do wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your solution is a bit hard to follow. Try solving for the x (east) and y (north) components separately. Find the components of the force, then the acceleration. Then solve for the displacement components, then the total displacement.
  4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    Components of the force
  5. Sep 8, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

The question mentions 20N. But you use 0.20N and 0.10N... I assume the 0.20 is a typo but where is the 0.10 coming from?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?