Help with Physics Problem - Vector Addition & Subtraction

• Thread starter degsclarit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the first question is meaningless without context and the second question asks for a comparison between vector subtraction and addition. The magnitude of the resultant vector will be different in each case.
degsclarit
guy! I'am newbie here hope i will find some good friend .o:)

guys, i homework in physics ,but i don't understand the question can anybody help me.o:)

this is the question.

1. Considering graphical and analytical methods for obtaining the resultant, which method is more accurate? Give the probable sources of errors from which method.

2. Would the magnitude of the resultant be different for vector subtraction than for vector addition in each case? If so, state the whether the subtractive resultant would be greater than the additive resultan

can anyone help me...:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Those questions are meaningless without the example they refer to.

negitron said:
Those questions are meaningless without the example they refer to.

Well, the first one is pretty meaningless, since all the graphical approaches I know for calculating vector sums (Measuring with a ruler and protractor aside) are in essence analytical (Law of Cosines)

But as far as the second one goes, that does have an answer.

Consider the following vectors:

[tex]\vec r_1+\vec r_2=\vec r_3[/tex]
Let's break them down into their axial components:
[tex]\vec r_1=r_{1_x}\hat x + r_{1_y}\hat y[/tex]
[tex]\vec r_2=r_{2_x}\hat x + r_{2_y}\hat y[/tex]

So the vector sum,
[tex]\vec r_3=(r_{1_x}+r_{2_x})\hat x+(r_{1_y}+r_{2_y})\hat y[/tex]

Let's have a look at the definition of a vector's magnitude:
[tex]|r_3|\equiv\sqrt{r_{3_x}^2+r_{3_y}^2}[/tex]

Now what you should do is look at what happens when you do vector subtraction as opposed to addition, and see how that affects the magnitude of the resultant vector, [tex]|r_3|[/tex]

What is vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to find the resultant vector. Vector subtraction is the process of finding the difference between two vectors.

How do I perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, you need to first represent them graphically using arrows on a coordinate system. Then, you can use the head-to-tail or parallelogram method to find the resultant vector.

What are the properties of vector addition and subtraction?

The properties of vector addition and subtraction are commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. These properties allow you to rearrange and combine vectors in different ways to find the resultant vector.

What are some real-life applications of vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition and subtraction are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. Examples include calculating the net force on an object, finding the resultant velocity of a moving object, and determining the direction and magnitude of wind or water currents.

What are some common mistakes when performing vector addition and subtraction?

Some common mistakes when performing vector addition and subtraction include not considering the direction of the vectors, using the wrong method to find the resultant, and not using the correct units for the final answer. It is important to pay attention to the details and double check your work to avoid these errors.