1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem has me stumped.

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    might be overlooking something. here is the problem.

Vector V represents a displacement of 120km at 29.0* counterclockwise from the x axis.
    Write V in unit vector notation.

Andrew

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This is simple geometry. Draw a diagram with the x and y axis and draw your angled vector. Now what is the vector in cartesian coordinates? Do you know what the components are of an arbitrary vector in cartesian?

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    Interesting. You are given the unit notation in (r,theta). You want the unit notation in (x,y), I presume.

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    yes unit notation in (x,y). I just cant seem to find that in my notes and was wondering the best way to go about getting the notation in that form from what I am given.

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    I apologize if it isn't polite to give too much of a hint on PF, but here aessex: Unit notation in cartesian is given simply by [tex] v = xi + yj [/tex] where i, j are the x, y unit vectors respectively and x, y are the horizontal and vertical components. I suppose you have enough trig knowledge to figure out the x and y components given (r, theta).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook