Physics Problem; help me please

• Thread starter mike98020205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a freight train with a mass of 15000000 kg and a locomotive that can exert a constant pull of 750000 N will take 470 seconds to reach a speed of 85 km/h.
mike98020205
Help, I just can't seem to get this.

A freight train has a mass of 15000000 kg. If the locomotive can exert a constant pull (what is a constant pull?) of 750000 N, how long would it take to increase the speed of the train from rest to 85 km/h? (Disregard friction.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Newtons second law: f=ma, a=f/m. You can use this to derive the acceration and use some kinematics formulas to find out how long it will take to reach a certain velocity with a known acceleration and a known initial velocity.

Last edited:
F = ma

750000 N = (15000000 kg) * a

Well, you have a fairly basic question that comes from Netwon's second law of motion. By constant pull, the system has a constant force that is pulling the train along. This means that the system also has constant acceleration, which is given by Netwon's Laws.

F = M A

You can easily find this acceleration by using the values already given.
You now can use this in a kinematics equation. You have acceleration,initial velocity,final velocity, and you need to find time.

I suggest using this equation:

V(f)=V(i)+at

By the way, make sure you watch your units. The final velocity that the problem gives is in kilometers per hour. Convert this speed to standard units.

Hope this helps

Ok... What is the answer? The book says 470 seconds. I did 750000N/15000000 and got .05m/s squared for the acceleration. Then, If I divide the final speed, 85 km/h by this acceleration, I get 1700 seconds which is wrong. How do they get 4.7 times 10 to the second (470 seconds)? Help please. I appreciate it.

conversion from m/s to km/h

They are looking for time in this problem.

yeah, but the conversion from m/s to km/h is essential in arriving at the proper time. You are dividing 85 km/h by m/s. The units do not cancel out.

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a set of physical laws that describe the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is a set of physical laws that describe the behavior of subatomic particles. In classical mechanics, objects are treated as particles with definite positions and velocities, while in quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions that represent a range of possible positions and velocities.

2. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of physics?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory has revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity, and has led to new discoveries in astrophysics and cosmology.

3. Can you explain the concept of energy conservation?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

4. How can I apply physics principles to real-life problems?

Physics principles can be applied to a wide range of real-life problems, from designing buildings and bridges to understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. By understanding the fundamental laws and principles of physics, you can approach problems with a scientific and analytical mindset, and use mathematical equations and models to find solutions.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for geniuses or extremely talented individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic principles of physics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only applicable to theoretical concepts, when in fact it has many practical applications in everyday life.