Physics Problem Help: Understanding Acceleration of Sliding Objects

• Thread starter FahimP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The reason why the acceleration is not -9.8m/s^2 is because the object is not freely falling. In summary, the experiment involved sliding an object across a horizontal pipe and measuring its velocity and acceleration. The acceleration was found to be constant, but not -9.8m/s^2 because the object was not freely falling. The reason for the constant acceleration despite different distances between checkpoints is due to the component of gravity acting on the sliding object.
FahimP

Homework Statement

I just did an experiment. where i was sliding an object across a horizontal pipe. One end of the pipe was like 5 inches of the ground and the other side was on ground level. I did a few tests calculating the time it took to pass through two check points. I was calculating velocity and acceleration based on the distance and time.

I thought I was going to get an acceleration of -9.8m/s^2 but I didnt. Over a series of 5 tests i got the same acceleration even though the check points were at different distances. WHY i don't know.. can anyone explain why i got the same acc even though the distances were different and why i did not get an acceleration of -9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my anwer was ... the reason why gravity does not act on it is because it is sliding not falling. the object is sliding on the pipe therefore there is a constant acceleration but it is not -9.8m/s^2 because it is not a freely falling object.

the first part of the question I don't know? i don't know why i kept getting the same acceleration for the 6 different trials even though the distances were different

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is acting on the object, it is just the object is sliding down the length of the pipe, so the component of gravity along the length of the pipe is what is causing the acceleration.

What is a physics problem?

A physics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of physics principles and concepts to find a solution or explanation.

Why is physics problem solving important?

Physics problem solving helps us understand the physical world around us and how it works. It also allows us to develop critical thinking and analytical skills, which are useful in many areas of life.

How do I approach a physics problem?

The first step in approaching a physics problem is to clearly understand what is being asked. Then, identify the relevant physics concepts and equations that can be applied. Finally, use problem-solving strategies, such as breaking the problem into smaller parts or drawing diagrams, to find a solution.

What if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also consult your textbook or notes, ask a classmate or teacher for help, or search online for similar problems and their solutions.

Can I use a calculator to solve physics problems?

Yes, a calculator can be a useful tool in solving physics problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations and not rely solely on the calculator.