Physics Problem Help: MASS 7.1

• Thread starter Hiche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a box on a frictionless ramp. The question asks for finding the acceleration, force, and other forces acting on the box. The solution involves finding the acceleration to be -2.5 m/s2 and the angle to be 14.47 degrees. The normal force is then calculated to be 17.38 N. However, the calculated solution is found to be incorrect according to the website, and the mass of the box is clarified to be 7.1 kg. The conversation ends with a question about the force along the x-axis and the normal force in the FBD.
Hiche

Homework Statement

The problem is in the attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know how to answer this after trying many times. Please tell how to answer this question. How to approach it, please.

MASS IS 7.1 NOT 7.6.

Attachments

• fsdfds.png
    fsdfds.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a graph of velocity vs time.
Can you find the acceleration of the box from this graph? Yes you can.
Can you find the force acting on the box from the acceleration. Again yes.
Do you know of any other forces acting on the box? ie draw a FBD.
Resolve your force(s) into x and y components and compute.
remember -- > frictionless ramp.

Okay.

So I found that the acceleration is -2.5 m/s2. I then found that the theta (angle) is 14.47, which is, according to the site, true. Since the net force along the y component is 0 N, then according to Newton's law, N - mgsin@ = 0. (@ is theta). N is then 17.38 N.

However, it is wrong according to the site. Anything wrong?

Oh, and the mass is 7.1 not 7.6.

Would not the force along the x-axis be mgsin@? And that is the force that slows the box down.
If you drew the FBD, the normal force, N, would then be what.

I apologize, but I am unable to view the attachment or see the specific problem you are referring to. Can you please provide more details or clarify the question? Without the necessary information, it is difficult for me to provide a proper response. Additionally, it would be helpful if you could provide the relevant equations and your attempted solution so far. This will allow me to better understand the problem and provide guidance on how to approach it. Thank you.

1. What is mass in physics?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter that measures the amount of matter an object contains. In physics, mass is often denoted by the letter "m" and is measured in kilograms (kg).

2. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but they have different meanings in physics. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

3. How do you calculate mass?

Mass can be calculated by dividing an object's weight by the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for mass is: m = F/g, where m is the mass, F is the force of gravity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between mass and inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. Mass is related to inertia, but they are not exactly the same. Mass is a quantitative measure of inertia, while inertia is a qualitative property that describes an object's resistance to changes in motion.

5. How does mass affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. In other words, the more massive an object is, the harder it is to change its motion.