How Do You Calculate Alpha Particles' Impact and Behavior in a Current Problem?

• Thread starter xerox2ooo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the alpha particlees hit the surface in 3.0s and there are a total of 20 particles in a 20 cm length of the beam.
xerox2ooo
Can anyone give some hints on this problem?
This is about current and resistance.

Problem: A steady beam of alpha particles (q= +2e) traveling with constant kinetic energy 20MeV carries a current of 0.25 micro ampere.
(a) If the beam is directed perpendicular to a plane surfece, how many alpha particlees strike the surface in 3.0s?
(b) At any instant, how many alpha particles are there in a given 20 cm length of the beam?
(c) Through what potential difference was it necessary to accelearte each alpha particle from rest to bring it to an energy of 20 MeV?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) Current is defined as the charge that flows through a cross section of the conductor in a given time frame:
[tex]I = \frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]
So to find the number of charges that go through the cross section (or in our case, hit the perpendicular surface), just rearrange that equation:
[tex]dq = Idt = 0.25\mu A3s[/tex]
Remember that each particle carries a charge of +2e so you need to divide the result by two to get the number of particles.

(c) The fact that the particles have 20 MeV of energy indicates the amount of energy that has gone into accelerating them. The energy that is given to a particle as it is accelerated by a potential difference is [tex]E = qV[/tex]. You have the energy, you have the charge of each particle, you can find the potential difference. :smile:

Gotta think a bit about (b), be right back...

Last edited:
Ok, for (b) you can find the velocity of the particles, right? You know their energy, and the mass of each alpha particle is 4 times the mass of a proton (it has two protons and two neutrons). Once you have the velocity of the particles, you can find how much time it would take on of them to cover a distance of 20cm:
[tex]\Delta t = \frac{x}{v}[/tex]
Now just plug that into the equation I used already above:
[tex]\Delta q = I\Delta t = I\frac{x}{v}[/tex]
(Again, divide the result by two to get the number of particles)

Last edited:

1. What is the first step in solving a physics problem?

The first step in solving a physics problem is to read and understand the problem carefully. Make sure to identify the given information, what is being asked, and the relevant equations or principles that can be applied.

2. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and solving for the given quantity. You can also use estimation and make sure your answer is reasonable based on the given values.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. You can also consult your textbook, notes, or online resources for similar examples or additional explanations.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice is key. Work on a variety of problems and try to understand the underlying concepts and principles. You can also work in groups or seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

5. Can you provide some general hints for solving physics problems?

Some general hints for solving physics problems include drawing diagrams, organizing given information, using the appropriate equations, and checking units and significant figures. It is also helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and use logical reasoning to approach each part.