1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem:Kinetic Energy

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    Can someone please tell me what I did wrong for Part A. I used this equation: KE=1/2m*v^2. The answer I got was 58.8J but its wrong. Am I using the right equation?

A 47.0 g golf ball is driven from the tee with an initial speed of 50.0 m/s and rises to a height of 23.4 m.
    (a) Neglect air resistance and determine the kinetic energy of the ball at its highest point. ?J

(b) What is its speed when it is 7.0 m below its highest point?
    46.7m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
    how fast is the ball going when it is at Hmax?
    this is the v you need to use.

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    photon-mass,
    how fast is the ball going when it's at Hmax is actually the horizontal velocity
    vx = vo x cosa (where vo is the initial velocity and a is the angle of projection)
    I think the additional needed info in this question is the angle of projection.

XMLT

5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
  6. Oct 12, 2004 #5
    Hi,

They are making this a bit confusing for you i think. Keep in mind this is a two dimensional problem, so you need to calculate the x and y components of the velocity v by using the well known triangle-rules with sine and cosine.

At the highest point, the y-component of the velovity is 0 because you do not move upwards anymore. So v_y = 0

The x-component is constant v_x = v' * cos (a) where a is angle of inclination of the ball with respect to the x-axis. The v' is the given initial velocity. What you need to find is the angle a. Try using this t = v'_y/g is the time that the y component of the velocity is 0. This t-value must be substituted into the expression for the y-component of the position (max height) : y - y' = v'_y * t - gt²/2. And y-y' = 23.4. Now you can calculate v'_y and you know v'. Via v'_y = v' * sin (a) you will find a.

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?