1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem need help

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Need Help Now

A string wound on the rim of a wheel 20 cm in diameter is pulled out at a rate of 75 cm/s. Through how many revolutions will the wheel have turned by the time that 9.0m of string has been unwound? Also how long did it take?

I really need help with this. If you post, please show all work so I can learn how to do this type of problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Need Help Now

joecocobo, welcome to PF.

You'll have to follow the posting template and show your attempt at working on the problem before help/hints/guidance can be offered.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A string wound on the rim of a wheel 20 cm in diameter is pulled out at a rate of 75 cm/s. Through how many revolutions will the wheel have turned by the time that 9.0m of string has been unwound? Also how long did it take?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know any equations to use

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly don't know where to start, to even make an attempt

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
  5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You may be overthinking it. For starters, separate the question into its two components. They are not related.

1] A 9.0m string is wound on the rim of a wheel 20 cm in diameter. How many times is the string wrapped around the wheel?
    Do you know the relationship between the diameter of a circle and its circumference?

2] How long will a point on the string take, moving at 75cm/s, to travel 9.0m?
    Do you know how to calculate time, given a distance and a velocity?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook