1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem on force

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    1.Three astronauts, propelled by jet backpacks, push and guide a 85 kg asteroid toward a processing dock, exerting the forces shown in Fig. 5-31.
    (a) What is the asteroid's acceleration in unit-vector notation?
    __m/s2 i + __m/s2 j
    (b) What is the asteroid's acceleration as a magnitude and direction?
    __° (counterclockwise from the +x axis is positive)

2. Relevant equations
    W= F * d

3. a) 55/85 m/s2 i + (32 cos 30-40 cos 60)/85 m/s2 j
    = 0.65 m/s2 i + 0.091 m/s2 j

b) (.65^2 +.091^2) ^.5 is the net acceleration.
    for direction i used tan x=.091/.65
    answer= .14

i need help
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    The question does not seem to be asking for Work or Energy, so the equation W = F * d does not seem correct.

You do have the right idea in terms of calculating acceleration from the force / mass (a = F / m), but you didn't quite get the procedure correct.

Using unit-vector notation, the i unit vector will be the sum of the forces in the x-direction, and the j unit vector will be the sum of the forces in the y-direction.

Hopefully this will put you on the right track.
  4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    still confused on which equation to use
  5. Jan 12, 2009 #4
    Looking at your first post, you used F = ma (or a = F/m). You found one component of the i unit vector as 55 N / 85 kg. This was correct.

However, the point where you went wrong was in using
    (32 cos 30-40 cos 60)/85 as the j unit vector. The cosine of the angle times the hypotenuse will give you the x-component of each force, which would be part of the i unit vector.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?