How Do Astronauts Calculate the Acceleration of an Asteroid in Space?

In summary: But for the j unit vector, you need the sine of the angle times the hypotenuse (instead of the cosine). Also, the full sine function will be negative, because the force is in the negative y direction. So, the correct formula would be -(32 sin 30 + 40 sin 60)/85. To get the magnitude and direction, you would use a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and the inverse tangent function.In summary, the acceleration of the asteroid is 0.65 m/s2 in the i direction and 0.091 m/s2 in the j direction. The magnitude of the net acceleration is 0.66 m/s2, and the direction is
Jumpman24
1.Three astronauts, propelled by jet backpacks, push and guide a 85 kg asteroid toward a processing dock, exerting the forces shown in Fig. 5-31.
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6572/0539aw6.gif
(a) What is the asteroid's acceleration in unit-vector notation?
__m/s2 i + __m/s2 j
(b) What is the asteroid's acceleration as a magnitude and direction?
__m/s2
__° (counterclockwise from the +x axis is positive)

2. Homework Equations
W= F * d

3. a) 55/85 m/s2 i + (32 cos 30-40 cos 60)/85 m/s2 j
= 0.65 m/s2 i + 0.091 m/s2 j

b) (.65^2 +.091^2) ^.5 is the net acceleration.
for direction i used tan x=.091/.65
answer= .14i need help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question does not seem to be asking for Work or Energy, so the equation W = F * d does not seem correct.

You do have the right idea in terms of calculating acceleration from the force / mass (a = F / m), but you didn't quite get the procedure correct.

Using unit-vector notation, the i unit vector will be the sum of the forces in the x-direction, and the j unit vector will be the sum of the forces in the y-direction.

Hopefully this will put you on the right track.

still confused on which equation to use

Looking at your first post, you used F = ma (or a = F/m). You found one component of the i unit vector as 55 N / 85 kg. This was correct.

However, the point where you went wrong was in using
(32 cos 30-40 cos 60)/85 as the j unit vector. The cosine of the angle times the hypotenuse will give you the x-component of each force, which would be part of the i unit vector.

1. What is force in physics?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, resulting in a change in their motion. It is often measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by a vector, which includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion and is used to determine the force needed to accelerate an object with a certain mass at a certain rate.

3. What are the different types of forces in physics?

There are four fundamental forces in physics: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Gravity is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, while electromagnetism describes the interaction between charged particles. Strong and weak nuclear forces are responsible for interactions between subatomic particles.

4. How does force affect motion?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, a force is required to change an object's state of motion or to keep it in motion.

5. How does friction affect force?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, making it more difficult to move an object. The amount of friction depends on the types of surfaces and the force pressing them together. In some cases, friction can be beneficial, such as in car brakes, but it can also reduce the efficiency of machines.