Calculating Pressure in a Swimming Pool: Total Force and Absolute Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the total force and absolute pressure on the bottom of a swimming pool with specific dimensions and a uniform depth. The inclusion of atmospheric pressure is mentioned and the pressure against the side of the pool is also addressed. The conversation also mentions the use of total force and the calculation of absolute pressure. It is noted that atmospheric pressure may be included in certain situations.
MIA6

Homework Statement

(a) What are the total force and the absolute pressure on the bottom of a swimming pool 22.0 m by 8.5 m whose uniform depth is 2.0 m? (b) What will be the pressure against the side of the pool near the bottom?

For a), the absolute pressure, I am not sure if I need to add atmospheric pressure? I am little confused with when to include atmospheric pressure. b) To find the pressure against the side of the pool, I need to use total force/Area (height*width)?
Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
a, is poorly worded - I would guess that absolute pressur eincludes one atmosphereof air pressure as well.
b, The pressure on the side of the pool is the same as the pressure downwards at that point - because water is a fluid.

mgb_phys said:
a, is poorly worded - I would guess that absolute pressur eincludes one atmosphereof air pressure as well.
b, The pressure on the side of the pool is the same as the pressure downwards at that point - because water is a fluid.

okay. But can you tell me when do we usually include atmospheric pressure?

MIA6 said:
okay. But can you tell me when do we usually include atmospheric pressure?

When the total pressure is comparable to the atm pressure (slightly subjective), or when specifically told in the problem.

I think you can add the ATM pressur to gauge pressur If you whant apsolute p .
to calculat total force = apsolute p * Area

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by a substance on its surroundings. It is usually measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by the area over which the force is applied. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What factors affect pressure?

Pressure can be affected by several factors, including the force applied, the area over which the force is applied, and the properties of the substance exerting the pressure (such as density and temperature).

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, pressure and volume are inversely proportional to each other, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases. This means that if the volume of a gas is decreased, the pressure will increase, and vice versa.

5. How does pressure affect the behavior of gases and liquids?

In gases, pressure affects the volume and temperature. As pressure increases, the volume of a gas decreases, and the temperature increases. In liquids, pressure affects the density, viscosity, and boiling point. As pressure increases, the density and viscosity of a liquid increase, and the boiling point decreases.