Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem Programs.

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    You know that Physics can be pretty complex with Math. Picturing a fellow doing it all by hand is quite hard. SO I imagine they've got some Physics programs where a scientest can enter their infor ,the chip does funny tricks and they come out with results.

They computer could probrably do almost the same thing as a scientiific calculator but it shoudl be able to handle more tricks or functions. Graphs and illustrations out to be as well.

BTW I'm picturing a physicist with a labcoast on doing experiments and going over to his/her computer and entering the results.DOes a physicist really need to have a labcoat on?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2007 #2
    I hate moving threads.

4. Mar 31, 2007 #3
    Yes, with a bowtie.

5. Mar 31, 2007 #4
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  6. Apr 1, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Some do. :rofl:

We had to wear lab coats when we worked in the lab, primarily because we worked with radioactive sources and it was better to have any contamination on the lab coat rather than one's own clothes.

As for doing experiments, probably in some cases, physics are tinkering with mechanical systems which may involve grease or lubricant, or welding, or chemicals, or working fluids, or electrical systems, which might involve soldering, so one would wear a lab coat to keep one's clothes clean.

Also, if one is using sensitive equipment, e.g. microelectronics, one might wear a clean suit to keep dust/particulates to a minimum.

As for calculations or programs, some can be very simple and performed on a calculator, while others can be exceedingly complex involving hundreds or thousands of lines of code (e.g. Finite Element Methods/Multiphysics Codes). Look at the statistical packages and what is involved.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  7. Apr 1, 2007 #6
    Hmm, so there are Physics prohrams?

8. Apr 1, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

As in computational programs? Most are probably proprietary.

There are FEM packages like Comsol - http://www.comsol.com/ - and others.

It used to be FEMLAB, and they keep upgrading/expanding it.

I think if one checks the forums, one will find some discussion of physics codes. There are codes for modeling stars and stellar physics, codes for modeling galaxies, codes for modeling collections of galaxies, and in the other direction of scale, codes modeling atomic interactions/bonding, molecular engineering, microstructures, nanostructures, quarks and leptons . . . . . virtually any physical (including chemical) interaction that is conceivable.

9. Apr 1, 2007 #8
    I'd expet there to be programs, I couldn't do it all by hand. And there are some functions you can't find on a calculator.

10. Apr 1, 2007 #9
    its a choice between either that or a little black top hat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?