Physics Problem Proof With Friend

In summary, the conversation is about trying to determine the correct equation for t, the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance, with initial velocity Vo and acceleration due to gravity g. It is believed that the teacher may have misspoke and the correct equation is t= \frac{Vo\sqrt{2}}{g}. This is supported by the fact that the units do not add up in the teacher's equation. The conversation ends with one person feeling vindicated for questioning the teacher's mistake.
Tom McCurdy
We are trying to decide if this is true
we are trying to prove that t
equals

[tex] t= \sqrt{ \frac{2Vo^2}{g}} [/tex]
however we think the teacher may have misspoke and it should be
[tex] t= \frac{Vo\sqrt{2}}{g} [/tex]

[tex] Vosin45-gt=0 [/tex]

[tex] Vosin45=gt [/tex]

[tex] t= \frac{Vosin45}{g} [/tex]

since you need to muliply by 2 since its only time up and you need time up and down

[tex] t= \frac{\frac{2V_0\sqrt{2}}{2}}{g}[/tex]

[tex] t= \frac{2V_0\sqrt{2}}{2g} [/tex]

[tex] t= \frac{Vo\sqrt{2}}{g} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you may have noted, your prof.'s units don't add up, so his answer MUST be wrong!

YES! I am happy, I got yelled at by my friend when I suggested that he was wrong... we will see who is laughing at the end

1. What is the purpose of "Physics Problem Proof With Friend"?

The purpose of "Physics Problem Proof With Friend" is to collaborate with a friend or classmate to solve a difficult physics problem. By working together, you can share ideas and approaches to find the most effective solution.

2. How can I effectively communicate with my friend during "Physics Problem Proof With Friend"?

Effective communication during "Physics Problem Proof With Friend" involves actively listening to your friend's ideas, asking clarifying questions, and expressing your own thoughts clearly. It is also important to respect each other's opinions and work together to find a solution.

3. Is collaboration allowed during "Physics Problem Proof With Friend"?

Yes, collaboration is encouraged during "Physics Problem Proof With Friend". Working together with a friend can often lead to a deeper understanding of the problem and a more efficient solution.

4. How do I ensure that both my friend and I are contributing equally during "Physics Problem Proof With Friend"?

To ensure equal contribution, it is important to actively listen to each other's ideas and take turns sharing your thoughts. You can also assign specific tasks to each other and discuss your progress to ensure both parties are contributing to the problem-solving process.

5. Are there any specific strategies or techniques that can be used during "Physics Problem Proof With Friend"?

Some helpful strategies and techniques for "Physics Problem Proof With Friend" include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, drawing diagrams or graphs, and using various problem-solving methods such as trial and error or working backwards. It is also important to keep an open mind and be willing to try different approaches.