1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem: tension.

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two bodies, A and B, body A as 4,0 kg and B as 8,0 kg, the bodies are in a horizontal surface, with no friction. Both bodies are connected by a non-extensible string with unknown mass, which doesn't matter to the case.
    The bodies are moving under de action of a force which has 18,0N of intensity.
    So I have to discover the intensity of the tension, which I happen to know the answer that is 12N, I just can't get there.

2. Relevant equations
    Resulting force=Weight+wheight+Fn+Fn+t+t+Friction+F
    I think so....

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know how to solve this, I tried several times and searched for some formulas but i cant get 12N.............
    Sorry about my poor english i'm portuguese.
    Please somebody help me.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The two masses move together with the same acceleration under the influence of a single force of 18 N. Can you find the common acceleration of the masses? That will be a good first step.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    thanks i will try that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook