Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Programs?

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    OK, I have developed a theory and I wish to test it before I begin making a mock model of my experiment.

In order to do this, I need a robust program, and im hoping somebody has an idea of what programs I can use!

Basically the program must be able to simulate earth. At the same time i need it to be able to calculate speed, velocity, calculate 2 different pressure enviroments and the effect on the object as it transitions between the two. At the same time i need it to be able to calculate and simulate magnetic repulsion/attraction for both standard magnetics and superconductors. While all at the same time, within the earth enviroment.

The program must be preferably open source(IE "free") and i really dont care if its for linux or for windows, I operate both.

Sorry if im being really vague about this, but the idea I have is something im not really willing to discuss openly until i am done with this simulation;

Let me know if i can clarify things.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2
    quite vague. simulate what on earth?you will find few general physics programs, being mostly mathematical. For applied physics, you've got matlab, with many modules for particular fields. If it is finite elements you want to do (pressure, magnetic field.. in general geometries),yo mught try femlab, or more particular programs like ansys or nastran.
  4. Jul 26, 2006 #3
    Correct me if I’m wrong but is you wish to test you new theory on a simulator won’t this be inherently doomed as any simulator will be based on current theory?
  5. Jul 26, 2006 #4
    I see...well, im trying to simulate the atmospheric conditions(IE Pressure, Wind, and other natural forces, at sea level preferably) All i am trying to essentially accomplish is, will an object I want be able to travel(not me physically, but an object.) to 11.8 KM's a second in a controlled enviroment, and be able to enter orbit, requiring the program to have integrated magnetic simulation for standard magnets and superconductors, and allow the programming of atmospheric conditions (both for native earth, and controlled enviroments.)

You would be correct, but I used the word "theory" incorrectly. I forget how that word is used in the physics realm. Really what I am trying to do is test an idea i have for an invention, which requires me testing the principles of which this invention solely relies upon for its sucess. So, i guess what I am doing is more "testing the limits" of the principles that modern physics as we know today have put forth. The Idea that I have developed is untested in many senses, and for me to apply for any kind of funding or patents, I would need to do a physical calculation to see if it would be possible.
  6. Jul 26, 2006 #5
    Go to www.opensourcephysics.org and post your question there.
  7. Jul 27, 2006 #6
    ok. I suppose that it all depends on the level of complexity you want to impose, however, i think that your main difficulty there is making a model including all the relevant variables and several domains, each with different conditions. The programs are the least of your worries...
    some of the states you mention are modelable at some level of detail by ode's, which any mathematical package will be able to integrate
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?