Best Physics Programs for Earth Simulation w/ Magnetics

In summary, the best physics programs for earth simulation with magnetics are those that have a strong focus on both geophysics and electromagnetism. These programs should have a combination of theoretical and practical coursework, as well as opportunities for hands-on research and internships in the field. Additionally, the top programs will have state-of-the-art facilities and experienced faculty who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research related to earth simulation and magnetics. Some top universities offering such programs include MIT, Caltech, and ETH Zurich.
Korona
OK, I have developed a theory and I wish to test it before I begin making a mock model of my experiment.

In order to do this, I need a robust program, and I am hoping somebody has an idea of what programs I can use!

Basically the program must be able to simulate earth. At the same time i need it to be able to calculate speed, velocity, calculate 2 different pressure enviroments and the effect on the object as it transitions between the two. At the same time i need it to be able to calculate and simulate magnetic repulsion/attraction for both standard magnetics and superconductors. While all at the same time, within the Earth enviroment.

The program must be preferably open source(IE "free") and i really don't care if its for linux or for windows, I operate both.

Sorry if I am being really vague about this, but the idea I have is something I am not really willing to discuss openly until i am done with this simulation;

Let me know if i can clarify things.

Physics news on Phys.org
quite vague. simulate what on earth?you will find few general physics programs, being mostly mathematical. For applied physics, you've got matlab, with many modules for particular fields. If it is finite elements you want to do (pressure, magnetic field.. in general geometries),yo mught try femlab, or more particular programs like ansys or nastran.

Correct me if I’m wrong but is you wish to test you new theory on a simulator won’t this be inherently doomed as any simulator will be based on current theory?

gato_ said:
quite vague. simulate what on earth?you will find few general physics programs, being mostly mathematical. For applied physics, you've got matlab, with many modules for particular fields. If it is finite elements you want to do (pressure, magnetic field.. in general geometries),yo mught try femlab, or more particular programs like ansys or nastran.

I see...well, I am trying to simulate the atmospheric conditions(IE Pressure, Wind, and other natural forces, at sea level preferably) All i am trying to essentially accomplish is, will an object I want be able to travel(not me physically, but an object.) to 11.8 KM's a second in a controlled enviroment, and be able to enter orbit, requiring the program to have integrated magnetic simulation for standard magnets and superconductors, and allow the programming of atmospheric conditions (both for native earth, and controlled enviroments.)

mtong said:
Correct me if I’m wrong but is you wish to test you new theory on a simulator won’t this be inherently doomed as any simulator will be based on current theory?

You would be correct, but I used the word "theory" incorrectly. I forget how that word is used in the physics realm. Really what I am trying to do is test an idea i have for an invention, which requires me testing the principles of which this invention solely relies upon for its sucess. So, i guess what I am doing is more "testing the limits" of the principles that modern physics as we know today have put forth. The Idea that I have developed is untested in many senses, and for me to apply for any kind of funding or patents, I would need to do a physical calculation to see if it would be possible.

Korona said:
The program must be preferably open source(IE "free") and i really don't care if its for linux or for windows, I operate both.

Go to www.opensourcephysics.org and post your question there.

Korona said:
I see...well, I am trying to simulate the atmospheric conditions(IE Pressure, Wind, and other natural forces, at sea level preferably) All i am trying to essentially accomplish is, will an object I want be able to travel(not me physically, but an object.) to 11.8 KM's a second in a controlled enviroment, and be able to enter orbit, requiring the program to have integrated magnetic simulation for standard magnets and superconductors, and allow the programming of atmospheric conditions (both for native earth, and controlled enviroments.)
ok. I suppose that it all depends on the level of complexity you want to impose, however, i think that your main difficulty there is making a model including all the relevant variables and several domains, each with different conditions. The programs are the least of your worries...
some of the states you mention are modelable at some level of detail by ode's, which any mathematical package will be able to integrate

1. What makes a physics program ideal for studying Earth simulation with magnetics?

An ideal physics program for studying Earth simulation with magnetics should have a strong foundation in both geophysics and electromagnetism. This will allow students to understand the complex interactions between Earth's magnetic field and its geological processes.

2. What types of courses should I expect to take in a physics program for Earth simulation with magnetics?

Courses in geophysics, electromagnetism, and computational modeling are essential in a physics program for Earth simulation with magnetics. Other relevant courses may include mineralogy, geology, and planetary physics.

3. Are there any specific skills or experience required for this type of program?

A strong background in physics and mathematics is necessary for success in a physics program for Earth simulation with magnetics. Additionally, experience with computer programming and data analysis is highly beneficial in this field.

4. What research opportunities are available in this area of study?

There are many research opportunities available in this area, including studying Earth's magnetic field using satellite data, modeling the Earth's interior dynamics, and exploring the effects of geomagnetic storms on our planet. Students may also have the opportunity to conduct fieldwork and collect data for their research projects.

5. What career paths can I pursue with a degree in Earth simulation with magnetics?

Graduates of a physics program for Earth simulation with magnetics can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including geophysics, planetary science, and environmental consulting. They may also work in industries such as renewable energy, aerospace, or government agencies such as NASA or the USGS.