IB Physics Project Ideas - Analytical or Experimental?

In summary, the author is considering what to work on for an IB essay and is considering classical field theory and theoretical physics. He has a level of education that would put him at a high school student, but is advanced for his level. He doesn't know any programming, but is interested in modeling something.
guitarphysics
Hello, I'd really appreciate some opinions on this- I'll get a chance to do an extended essay for the IB program and I'm choosing physics, obviously. I'm not quite sure what to work on. I can choose to research something relating to experimental physics (where I design an experiment to find a relation between different physical quantities) or relating to theoretical physics (where I create a model for something, or maybe give an analytical discussion of a topic).

It can't be something too broad, since the essay has a word limit of 4000. I get about 6 months to do this project, so once I start I'll have a long time to learn stuff if I need to. I'd rather do something more theoretical than experimental. Any thoughts on what could be good? I'm thinking classical field theory could be interesting to look into, but I have no idea what I could do related to that subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Buump

It might help to explain what level of education you have and what 'IB' is.

Yeah, you're right, sorry. IB is international baccalaureate- it's *sort of* like A levels.
I'm pretty advanced for a high school student- I know calc, classical mechanics (only a bit of Lagrangian stuff, though), undegrad level EM, and some relativity (as well as garden variety first year physics stuff- fluids, waves, etc.).

Do you know any programming? Then you could try to model something you find interesting.

Movement of charges in weird electromagnetic fields, start with something straight forward.

Two masses orbiting each other due to gravity, add in more objects or forces for more fun.

Voltage in some circuit.

Stefans Law, regarding growth of fresh ice floating on water. Add in heat fluxes, meteorological data for more fun.

This thread had some good suggestions as well: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=766646

Last edited:
Some really cool ideas, thanks! Unfortunately I suck at programming so I won't be able to model anything :(. But we'll see..

What is the difference between analytical and experimental projects in IB Physics?

Analytical projects involve using existing data and theories to analyze and draw conclusions about a particular topic in physics. Experimental projects, on the other hand, involve conducting a new experiment or investigation to collect data and test a hypothesis.

What are some examples of analytical IB Physics projects?

Some examples of analytical projects in IB Physics could include analyzing the motion of a pendulum using mathematical equations, studying the relationship between temperature and pressure in a gas using the ideal gas law, or analyzing the properties of waves using wave equations.

What are some examples of experimental IB Physics projects?

Experimental projects in IB Physics can vary greatly, but some examples could include investigating the relationship between force and acceleration using a dynamics cart, studying the properties of light using a spectrometer, or designing and conducting an experiment to test the efficiency of different types of renewable energy sources.

Which type of project is better for IB Physics?

Both analytical and experimental projects have their own strengths and benefits. It ultimately depends on the individual student's interests and skills. Analytical projects may be better suited for students who excel in mathematics and data analysis, while experimental projects may be better for students who enjoy hands-on experimentation and problem-solving.

How can I come up with an original and feasible IB Physics project idea?

One way to come up with a project idea is to think about a topic or concept in physics that interests you and then brainstorm ways to test or analyze it. You can also look for inspiration from current events, real-world problems, or previous IB Physics projects. It is important to make sure your project idea is feasible in terms of time, resources, and safety considerations.