Build a Battery-Powered Dragster - Physics Project Help

In summary, to create a battery powered dragster, you will need to use only AA batteries, a commercial motor and gears. All other components of the car must be made from materials not intended for their use. Some suggestions for the best engine to use include the TowerPro MG90S and the Turnigy TrackStar 17T. For gears, a high gear ratio gearbox such as the Pololu Plastic Gearmotor Bracket with 64:1 Metal Gearbox would be ideal. You will also need to get creative with materials to make the wheels and body of the dragster. Good luck with your project!
midcourtassassin
Hey there! I need to make a battery powered dragster! Here are so requirements...

Only AA batteries, but any number is allowed.
Only commercial motor and gears are permitted.
Everything else on the car must be materials not meant for their use (ex. car wheels must not be wheels. They can be thread spools or CDs, etc.)

Any ideas as to how I could make this work? Or what's the best engine to use? My partner and I took an engine from a AA battery powered RC car at the local toy store. Are there any faster ideas, though?

I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best engine to use is probably going to be a brushed DC motor, as these are usually the most powerful and efficient for AA battery powered dragsters. Some good options for brushed DC motors include the TowerPro MG90S and the Turnigy TrackStar 17T. These should both provide enough speed and torque for your needs. For the gears, you will want to look for gearboxes that have higher gear ratios, as this will help to increase the speed of your dragster. A good option would be the Pololu Plastic Gearmotor Bracket with 64:1 Metal Gearbox, as it has a high gear ratio and is compatible with your AA batteries. Finally, you will need to find a way to make all the other components of your dragster out of materials not meant for their use. This could include things like thread spools or CDs for wheels, and scrap metal or plastic for the body. It might take some experimentation, but you should be able to make something that works! Good luck!

Hi there! Building a battery-powered dragster can definitely be a fun and challenging physics project. Here are a few ideas that might help you get started:

1. Consider the weight and aerodynamics of your dragster. The lighter and more aerodynamic your car is, the faster it will go. You can use materials like foam board, balsa wood, or even cardboard to create a lightweight and streamlined body for your dragster.

2. As for the wheels, you can use CDs or thread spools as you mentioned, but make sure they are securely attached to the axle. You can also try using ball bearings or skateboard wheels for even smoother and faster movement.

3. For the motor, the one you took from the RC car should work fine. However, if you want to experiment with different motors, you can try using a DC motor or a hobby motor. Just make sure to check the voltage and current requirements to ensure compatibility with your batteries.

4. To make your dragster go faster, you can try using multiple motors and gears. This will increase the torque and speed of your car. You can also experiment with different gear ratios to find the optimal combination for your dragster.

5. Don't forget about the battery placement and wiring. Make sure the batteries are securely attached to the car and that the wiring is not too long, as this can cause resistance and slow down your dragster.

Overall, the key to a successful battery-powered dragster is to keep it lightweight, aerodynamic, and well-designed. Good luck with your project!

What materials are needed to build a battery-powered dragster?

To build a battery-powered dragster, you will need a battery, a motor, wheels, a chassis, wires, and a switch. You may also need other materials for customization, such as a body and decorations.

How does a battery-powered dragster work?

A battery-powered dragster works by converting electrical energy from the battery into mechanical energy through the motor. The motor then spins the wheels, propelling the dragster forward. The switch controls the flow of electricity, allowing the dragster to start and stop.

What are the physics principles involved in building a battery-powered dragster?

Building a battery-powered dragster involves principles of electromagnetism, mechanical energy, and motion. The battery provides electrical potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy by the motor and transferred to the wheels. The dragster's motion is also affected by friction and air resistance.

How can I make my battery-powered dragster faster?

To make your battery-powered dragster faster, you can try using a more powerful battery or motor, reducing friction in the wheels, and improving the aerodynamics of the dragster's body. You can also experiment with different gear ratios to optimize the motor's efficiency.

What are some safety precautions I should take when building a battery-powered dragster?

When building a battery-powered dragster, it is important to handle the battery and wires with caution to avoid electrical shock. Make sure to use a battery and motor that are suitable for the size and weight of your dragster to prevent overheating. It is also essential to run tests in a safe and open environment to avoid collisions or accidents.