1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Project Ideas

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Here is the task... Boy Scout project (Not Homework)
    - Build a car that can travel 20m in straight line
    - Design Constraints:
    - Carry (2) standard mousetraps and (2) 8 oz cans of pork and beans
    - Use 3 of the above 4 items as energy sources, with 1 as pure payload
    - Complete freedom over what car is made out of except nothing sharp and no chemicals.
    - No push starts. Car must move from start under its own power.

Extra Prize for fastest car to cover the 20m distance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2
    Great, show us your plan :)

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3
    Absolutely will as it progresses. Looking for varied ideas for the scouts that haven't any ideas. Trying to help them understand the principles behind the project rather than leaving them on an island. :-)

Any ideas and project plans are appreciated. Love seeing the different ways people come at a project.

5. Mar 22, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I haven't looked yet, but there must be some websites with 100s of suggestions for these kinds of instructional projects. Have you tried searching on it yet? Have you found any good websites that you can share with us?

I know there are websites with lots of ideas for Science Fair projects, but that's not exactly what you are looking for. I often point people to the Intel STEM project competition website (although I believe Intel no longer sponsors those competitions)...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ternational-science-and-engineering-fair.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted