Physics Project involving ice, gases, and global warming

In summary, the expert summarizer believes that they will be able to demonstrate their point using information about how much energy is required to melt the ice, how fast it takes to transfer that much energy, how much energy it takes to raise ocean water a degree, and then using an equation to calculate the approximate percent composition of the atmosphere.
Peter P.
Alright,
ASSIGNMENT
it is required of me to to the physics part in a group project where the topic is "causes of global warming". my group has chosen methane clathrates or methane hydrates if you like (in the ocean, not on land). The way these work is that it is methane gas that is trapped in water molecules that had turned into ice under the cold temperatures and pressures. as the temp of the Earth warms up, the water warms up as well and the rate at which the ice melts increases, releasing more gas, causing more temp increases, faster dissolving, and so on.

PROCESS
now what I am planning on doing is something along the lines of how much energy is required to melt the ice (q=mc delta T), how fast it takes to transfer that much energy from the water (im not so sure about which equation to use here), how much energy it takes to raise ocean water a degree (q=mc delta T). Then from there i plan to get the approximate percent composition of the atmosphere and demonstrate how an increased amount of methane will keep more energy trapped and not let it escape, thus warming the earth, through reflection of energy (im sure i have this formula somewhere, just to troublesome at the moment to find it). I believe that would be enough to demonstrate our point, so please, if someone can just tell me if what I am doing is correct (right formulas and what not) i would be extremely grateful.
Thank you in advance to anyone who even takes the time to read this over.

N.B. just for future reference, i was reading about q=ha delta T and something about heat transfer. so would i need to use this too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you planning on calculating how fast it takes to transfer energy FROM the water, or TO the water?

from water to the ice
i was reading about Newtons law of cooling or something like that, but i couldn't really find a heat transfer coefficient
also when it comes to calculations, my teacher said to use 1 kg of the methane clathrate since it is relatively unknown exactly how much of it there is around the world.

Last edited:
to tell the truth, i don't think that it will be possible to effectively calculate the rate at which it melts and all that since it is impossible to get conclusive numbers on the amount ocean water, temperatures, size of the clathrates and other things.

instead, can anyone tell me if there is a certain equation i can use to calculate the amount of energy a gas (methane gas in this case) would absorb and release when it is in the atmosphere and the approx composition/amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere currently?

thank you.

Sorry, wish i could help you further. =(

its alright
ill just have to hope that the theory part of what it does will suffice for it

thanks for trying either way

1. How does melting ice contribute to global warming?

Melting ice contributes to global warming through a process called the albedo effect. Ice has a high albedo, meaning it reflects a large amount of the sun's energy back into space. As ice melts, it exposes darker surfaces, such as water or land, which have a lower albedo and absorb more of the sun's energy. This leads to a warming effect on the Earth's surface, contributing to global warming.

2. What role do gases play in global warming?

Gases, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and water vapor, act as greenhouse gases, trapping heat in the Earth's atmosphere. This results in a warming effect on the Earth's surface, contributing to global warming. The increase in these gases, primarily due to human activities, is causing the Earth's temperature to rise at an alarming rate.

3. How do scientists measure the impact of ice melting on global warming?

Scientists use various methods, such as satellite imagery, to measure the extent and rate of ice melting. They also use data from weather stations, research vessels, and other sources to track changes in sea levels, temperature, and other factors that indicate the impact of ice melting on global warming.

4. Is there a way to slow down or reverse the effects of global warming caused by ice melting?

Yes, there are several ways to slow down or reverse the effects of global warming caused by ice melting. These include reducing greenhouse gas emissions, implementing sustainable practices, and promoting renewable energy sources. Additionally, some scientists are researching ways to artificially increase the Earth's albedo by reflecting more sunlight back into space.

5. What can individuals do to help reduce the impact of ice melting on global warming?

Individuals can help reduce the impact of ice melting on global warming by making small changes in their daily lives, such as using public transportation, reducing energy consumption, and recycling. They can also support organizations and policies that promote sustainable practices and advocate for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Every effort, no matter how small, can make a difference in slowing down the effects of global warming caused by ice melting.