1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics project

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    My school district requires that each high school senior complete what's called a "Graduation Project," in which the student makes a project of their choice that relates to their academics. There's no specific requirements about the actual project, just the completion of different components (i.e. a writing component, a presentation/speech, etc.) along with the project.

I am choosing my Physics II class to be the base my project and still have to talk to my physics teachers about what I have in mind. I thought I'd propose my idea here on good ol' PF to see what you all think.

I want to build a small, tabletop tesla coil that uses as little voltage as possible to demonstrate the nature of electricity and conductivity. The things I need to know are:

• Is this even practical for a student with one year of physics behind him?
    • Is it going to be expensive?
    • Is this something I can accomplish on my own with some detailed instructions and some research?
    I hope I'm not coming off as impractical or unknowledgable. This is just one idea I have. Feedback?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2
    Here's another idea I have: assemble a laser. Not from scratch, though. I could buy a tube and build the power supply. Any ideas?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?