Physics: Projectile motion -- Maximize the distance and hang-time of a soccer ball

• Thread starter YMMMA
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The question is in the pic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered it B. Still i am not quite sure whether it is B or E. I assumed some numbers, though.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I answered it B. Still i am not quite sure whether it is B or E. I assumed some numbers, though.
The best way is to write expressions for the Distance travelled as a function of ##v_0##, ##\theta_0## and g. And then to write the equation for the time spent in the air as a function of the same parameters. Then the answer will become clear.

Yes, I think that is what I did.
X=vi*cos(angle)*t +1/2*g*t^2
Assuming some values will get me an answer of B

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Please elaborate on your reasoning for each choice. Helpers won't simply confirm or deny what could well just be a guess...

gneill
Mentor
Can you explain in words what this represents?

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, I think that is what I did.
Assuming some values will get me an answer of B
You are mixing things along x and along y. This is not the correct equation for the X position. Have you seen the range formula?

Can you explain in words what this represents?
the horizontal distance = initial velocity times cosine theta x time +half times acceleration due to gravity x time squared

You are mixing things along x and along y. This is not the correct equation for the X position. Have you seen the range formula?
Yes, do u mean x=vi*cosine theta*t

gneill
Mentor
the horizontal distance = initial velocity times cosine theta x time +half times acceleration due to gravity x time squared
See what @nrqed said in post #6 above.

That’s one?

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, this is correct. But now you want an expression in term of ##\theta_0##, ##v_0## and g only. So you don't want time. You will have to find an expression for the time of flight.

gneill
Mentor
Do google searches on "Projectile Range Formula" and "Projectile Time Of Flight Formula".

Likes nrqed
Note that “... certain to ...” means it has to be true for all possible choices of initial v and initial angle and for all amounts of change. There are several answers which might be true for some particular conditions, but there is only one which is true for all conditions.

Likes hmmm27
hmmm27
Gold Member
You're kidding, right ?

Last edited:
Note that “... certain to ...” means it has to be true for all possible choices of initial v and initial angle and for all amounts of change. There are several answers which might be true for some particular conditions, but there is only one which is true for all conditions.
Yes, I think now after these two equations I can see the relation clearly. Thanks.

hmmm27
Gold Member
On your picture, what do the words say underneath the diagram ? and what could that signify.

On your picture, what do the words say underneath the diagram ?
Do you mean ‘figure not drawn to scale’?

Last edited by a moderator:
On your picture, what do the words say underneath the diagram ? and what could that signify.
It’s just to clarify that the motion of the ball is projectile.
Note: Its an SAT question. Most of the diagrams are not drawn to scale, its just for visualization.

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It’s just to clarify that the motion of the ball is projectile.
Note: Its an SAT question. Most of the diagrams are not drawn to scale, its just for visualization.
Projectile motion refers to situations when only the force of gravity is acting. So yes, it is a projectile motion situation.

hmmm27
Gold Member
It's just to clarify that the motion of the ball is projectile
huh ? Sorry, I keep forgetting the amount of ESL students in here... okay, what it boils down to is you can't tell from looking at the diagram what theta is. Also, the solution choices don't give you control over the amount of increase/decrease of theta or init-velocity.

But mostly, as Cutter pointed out : "certain to".

Likes YMMMA
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, yeah increasing both of them will certainly increase time and horizontal range based on these formulas. Answer A, then
So, yeah increasing both of them will certainly increase time and horizontal range based on these formulas. Answer A, then
How did you reach that conclusion? Explain carefully your reasoning and we will be able to point out where your mistake is. That's the best way to learn.

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You're kidding, right ?
Please, let's be respectful. People come here with various backgrounds and levels of study. We are here to help them.

Likes hmmm27 and gneill
hmmm27
Gold Member
Please, let's be respectful. People come here with various backgrounds and levels of study. We are here to help them.
You're right, of course. Post modified. Apologies to those adversely affected.

Likes YMMMA, nrqed and gneill