1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics-projectiles question

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to investigate the relationship between the range of the projectile by the distance the ball is released from the curved ramp. I want to measure the the vertical distance the ball is released when on the curved ramp which is placed on a table.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to measure the vertical distance by placing a ruler next to where the curved ramp is clamped but i find it hard to measure the distance the ball is from the ball accurately. What can i do inorder to accurately measure the vertical distance?

I'm also unsure if i should measure from the centre of the ball or the peak of the ball when measuring the vertical distance. Where shall i measure from?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2
    Hello ???

marlon

edit : assume the ball to be a point particle (approximation) you must apply conservation of total energy. What you need to know is the radius of the circular part of the ramp. The height from which you release the object on that ramp can be measured as well as the range.

If you wanna bring in the I tensor (ie rotational inertia), then things get slightly more complicated.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?