Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics query

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    can someone tell me what to read in "layman " terms ,the main differences between quantum theory and relativity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    quantum theory explain the law of particle kinetic.
    relativity is divide into restricted theory of relativity and general theory of relativity
    .restricted theory of relativity mainly assume the relation of time and space.general theory of relativity mainly assume the relation of universal gravitation and object kinetic.

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These are enormous subjects, and they have both glaring and subtle differences. It would take pages and pages of explanations, even at the layman level, to give this question a real answer.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I would say: Quantum theory describes the behavior of very small things, and is fundamentally discontinuous and probabilistic, while relativity describes the behavior of very large things, and is smooth and deterministic.

- Warren

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4
    thanks a lot croot,can you tell which of them or both enjoy the consensus of physicists in explaining forces of physics that provides significant explanations of our world?

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    Both, depending on what you want to model.
    And they don't provide explanations, only descriptions.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6
    thanks mike,enlighten me with some explanations of physics,and not merely descriptions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook