1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question dynamics?

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The constant force that works in the object M=5 kg forces the object with mass m=4 kg to move with acceleration a=2 m/s^2.
    The coefficient of friction between M and the table is 0.2.
    Determine
    a)F=? b) T=?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    SOLUTION:
    F-Ff=(m)*a Here I find F
    and here I find F
    B) F-(T+Ff)=m*a or T=m2*g ;G-T=m*g

Picture to help you http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r549/Elaia06/jh.jpg [Broken]

Edited: Maybe it is F-Ff=(m+M)*a where Ff =M*g*0.2?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a free body diagram of each mass separately (one for m and one for M). For the mass on the table, there is another force besides F and F-f acting in the x direction. For the hanging mass there are 2 forces acting. Use Newton 2 for each and solve the 2 equations for the 2 unknowns.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    I know,its also the tension but I wanna know if my equations are written in the right way?

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are not. First distinguish between m and M. Write your force equations for each block.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    I edited it

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do not solve it this way. You will be headed for trouble. Look at each block separately please.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook