1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question Energy Problems with a loss

Tags:
  1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a simple question but I can't seem to solve it( I don't know if this is advanced physics or not first time on this website, it said Work and that is part of this energy loss problem) here is the problem: What percentage of its gravitational potential energy does a squash ball lose if it falls from 3.0 m and returns to a height of .076 after bouncing once?

2. Relevant equations
    (100-x)(Ek1 + Eg1)/100 = Ek2 + Eg2
    Ek = 1/2mv²
    Eg = mgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, my Teacher did not give any example on a question with no "x" variable like this one, so literally I had no clue on how to attempt this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

You would just compare the E=mgh values of PE for the start and end positions of the ball. But what does "to a height of 0.076" mean? 0.076 meters, or 0.076*3.0 meters?

4. Feb 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks !

Its H1= 3.0 m and H2= .076, I know that for sure because, the ball is first at 3.0 M then it bounces and reaches a height of .076m. thats all i got from the question, oh and g= 9.80.

5. Feb 23, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So all you have to do is calculate the two mgh values, and figure out what percentage of the original PE was lost in the bounce. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted