1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Question: Force and Motion

1. Jan 23, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    A 0.340 kg particle moves in an xy plane according to x(t)=-15.00+2.00t-4.00t^3 and y(t)=25.00+7.00t-9.00t^2, with x and y in meters and t in seconds. At t=0.700s, what are a.) the magnitude and b.) the angle (relative to the positive direction of the x axis) of the net force on the particle, and c.) what is the angle of the particle's direction of travel.

-My first post! I got stuck on this question because I wasn't sure exactly where to start because it doesn't seem to really follow the format of any of the questions we have done in class and so Im having a hard time understanding it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2016 #2
    The first two questions are about the net force on the particle. What is the definition of net force ?

4. Jan 23, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect that's not what you meant to ask. The definition of net force is of no interest here. It is the consequence of the net force that matters, i.e. Newton's second law.

5. Jan 23, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You might be asked by a mentor to use the homework template and show your attempt first.
    Basic vector addition and F=manet is all you need.

6. Jan 23, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fnet=ma

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted