1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Question Help

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1
    Sorry to waste your time on wot should be a simple question:

A boat is travelling at 30 metres per second and begins to decelerate at 0.6 metres per second/per second. How much distance would it cover ( in metres) would it cover before it comes to a compete stop?

I have tried solving this with the question v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad.

v1 = The intial velocity which is 30 metres per second
    v2 = The final velocity which I believe is 0 meters per second; a complete stop.
    a = The acceleration which is 0.6 metres per second/per second
    d = Distance covered

When I try to solve the equation and isolate the variable "d" I get a rediculous answer.

Am I doing something wrong? Is v2 not 0 metres per second? Is this the wrong equation? Do I need to find out other variables such as time to solve this?

All help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2006 #2
    lets see here...
    V^2=Vo^2+2ad
    so
    0=900m/s+2(-0.6m/s)(d)
    -900/2/(-0.6)=750m=d
    750meters :smile:
    I hope this helps, I think what you did was not account for the acceleration being negative since you are slowing down..??

4. Jun 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks mate. Initially I tried it with -0.6 m/s/s but still came out with a nonsense answer. My problem it seems is the mathematics of the problem and being able to isolate "d".

I left school a long time ago and have a vague memory of how to solve basic equations, thankyou for clearing the matter up for me. I will now remember that to swap over something that is being multiplied, you divide the entire left hand side by that value.

Well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?