1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question - if you had a smooth wood block, why is rough surface more friction

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    in my mind i am thinking

smooth wood - more contact between object and surface - more friction
    rough wood - less contact b/t object and surface - less friction

can someone explain why this is wrong; why rough wood has more friction?
    i know rough wood WOULD have more friction but need to know why...

btw i am in physics 11, so please do not explain in terms i cant understand >_<

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ShootingStars! :smile:

I'd say the rough wood has more sticky-up bits, and they get pushed out of the way like tiny springs, and bounce back, and that is inefficient and wastes energy …

smooth wood has fewer or smaller sticky-up bits, and so less energy is wasted. :wink:

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    Re: physics question - if you had a smooth wood block, why is rough surface more fric

If you don't get into serious plastic deformation, fricrion is almost independent of contact area. Can you provide any data about your question? The coefficient for wood is usually difficult to measure and has poor repeatability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook