Physics question involving trig.

In summary: Then x = R tanα.In summary, an astronaut on the planet Oceania observes that the horizon in all directions appears to be at an angle of 5 mrad below the local horizontal. Using the Pythagorean theorem and the sine law, the distance between the horizon and the astronaut can be calculated as well as the radius of the planet. By drawing a triangle and using the given information, the radius of the planet can be solved for, which can then be used to calculate the distance to the horizon. The line AC should be the local horizontal to the astronaut's position, while the line AB is the line to the horizon.
mnmakrets
An astronaut arrives on the planet Oceania and climbs to the top of a cliff overlooking the sea. The astronaut’s eye is 100 m above the sea level and he observes that the horizon in all directions appears to be at angle of 5 mrad below the local horizontal.

What is the radius of the planet Oceania at sea level?

How far away is the horizon from the astronaut?

[Hint: the line of sight from the astronaut to the horizon is tangential to surface of the planet at sea level.]

Having drawn out the problem I have two equations:
Pythagoras: x^2 + R^2 = (R+100)^2
Sine Law: x= (R+100)sinA

x is the distance between the horizon and the astronaut
R is the radius of the planet
A is the angle between the two lengths of radius of the planet (sorry might sound a bit confusing, it makes more sense if you draw it out!)

I then tried to combine them and solve for the radius of the planet R but I am not having any luck getting the right answer :(

Any steps, answer, and/or hints are all greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

It helps to be careful about what you call things...

You should have drawn a triangle OAB.
O is at the center of the planet.
A is where the astronaut is standing,
B is on the surface of Oceania at sea level.

Angles:
The angle OBA is ##\frac{\pi}{2}## (working in radians).
The angle AOB is ##\alpha##
The angle OAB is ##\frac{\pi}{2}-\alpha##

Lengths of the sides:
##|OB|=R## (radius of Oceania at sea level)
##|OA|=R+a## (a=100m) it is best to keep variables.
##|AB|=x = R\tan\alpha##

You will also need another triangle: ABC
points A and B are as before.
point C is on the same line as OB, further out from Oceania.
The line AC is perpendicular to the line OA.
The angle CAB is given to you - from the drawing you should be able to see how it is related to ##\alpha##.

You now have three right-angled triangles.
... but I'm afraid you'll probably have to attach a diagram.

Thank you, I followed the steps you have given me and I drew the first triangle, however I am having trouble understanding where the line AC should go, I made the AC line red in the diagram, I am not sure if I drew it correctly. I attached the diagram which I drew in a word doc., I don't know any other way of drawing diagrams online, I hope its not an inconvenience.

Attachments

• Diagram No.1.docx
    63.8 KB · Views: 259
The line AC is supposed to be the local horizontal to A (the Astronaut).
The line AB is the line to the horizon as seen from A.
I attached the diagram which I drew in a word doc., I don't know any other way of drawing diagrams online, I hope its not an inconvenience.
It is poor netiquette to post attachments in poorly documented formats like docx - or any MS Office format.
Not everyone can read them.

For diagrams, please use png or gif format.
For photographs: jpg is usually good enough.
For general documents, please use an open document format or pdf

The attachment function of PF let's you upload from your computer - another approach is to use a service like google-docs.

Last edited:
From your figure, R/(R+a) = cosα. You know α, so you can calculate R.

1. What is the relationship between trigonometry and physics?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used extensively in physics to calculate the forces, velocities, and trajectories of objects in motion.

2. How does trigonometry help solve physics problems?

Trigonometry helps to solve physics problems by providing a way to calculate the length of sides and measure angles in triangles, which are often used to represent forces and vectors in physics equations. It also helps with understanding the relationship between different variables in a problem.

3. What are some common trigonometric functions used in physics?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions in physics are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the lengths of sides and measure angles in triangles, which are then used in physics equations to represent forces and vectors.

4. How is trigonometry used in projectile motion?

Trigonometry is used in projectile motion to calculate the initial velocity, angle of projection, and trajectory of an object. By using trigonometric functions, the forces acting on the object can be determined, allowing for accurate predictions of its motion.

5. Can trigonometry be used in other areas of physics besides mechanics?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various areas of physics such as optics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also used in fields like acoustics, where the relationship between sound waves and angles can be described using trigonometric functions.