Will the Block Slide on an Accelerating Inclined Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses an incline with a degree of Alpha and friction coefficient (Us = tan theta) and its acceleration to the right. The goal is to prove that if the equation a > g tan(Theta - Alpha) is true, then the block will slide. The solution involves calculating the maximum acceleration of the incline using the static friction coefficient, and the conversation also touches on the concept of static friction keeping the block 'moving backwards' or 'keeping up' with the incline.
Biker

Homework Statement

I have an incline with a degree of Alpha and it is with friction that is equal to (Us = tan theta)
It is accelerating to the right. Prove that this equation if it is true then the block will slide.
a > g tan(Theta - Alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

fJX6mjR.png

That was my thought of forces.So I figured out that if I want them to stick together then it should have the same acceleration and orientation.
So the Net of forces should be ma and has the same orientation as (a)
I have encountered a problem before with 2 stacked objects and found that the static force keeps the blocks together by giving it the same acceleration ( Correct me if I am wrong, I kinda get confused on how that happens) and also I can't find any force that could be acting that way so it produces the same acceleration and orientation. Anyway as a result, I came up with these equations.

Friction - mg sin alpha = ma cos alpha (1)
mg cos alpha - N = ma sin alpha (2)
Friction = Us N
Then by putting 2 in 1
Us (mg cos alpha - ma sin alpha) - mg sin alpha = ma cos alpha
Us as mentioned is equal to tan theta
Tan theta mg cos alpha - tan theta ma sin alpha - mg sin alpha = ma cos alpha
Divide all of it by cos alpha and m
Tan theta g - tan theta a tan alpha - g tan alpha = a
Do some math and you will come up with this
g(tan theta - g tan alpha) = a ( 1 + tan theta tan alpha)
a = g (tan theta - g tan alpha) / ( 1 + tan theta tan alpha)
a = g tan( theta - alpha)
If I want it to slide then a bit more acceleration will make it slide then a > g tan(tehta - alpha)

I highly doubt that the solution is right but I hope so. (Ehhhh worth trying right??) My conflict is with the static friction how it makes things move because that what I understood from this problem.
http://www.uwgb.edu/fenclh/problems/dynamics/multi/1/
He put a value of f and saw if that value of f equals to the static friction or no. I hope someone clear this misconception for me.

Thanks. [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Biker, :welcome:

I think you are doing fine. You are given a static friction coefficient ##\mu_s## and that gives you the maximum friction force. With that you calculate the maximum acceleration of the incline for which the block can 'keep up'. Any more and it will start to slide. And that's all that is asked of you in this exercise.

Well done !

BvU said:
Hello Biker, :welcome:

I think you are doing fine. You are given a static friction coefficient ##\mu_s## and that gives you the maximum friction force. With that you calculate the maximum acceleration of the incline for which the block can 'keep up'. Any more and it will start to slide. And that's all that is asked of you in this exercise.

Well done !

You just made my day, I have been working on this problem for so long. Although none of these are in my books or exams. So I have a question on a stacked objects problems or any other problem as this, The static friction force is what keeps the body moving with it but sometimes I find it hard to understand how the static force is acting on giving acceleration not trying to stop a object but If I think about it in another way If I consider that the block is moving backwards relatively to the incline then it is rational to consider that the static friction is acting on it to make it go with the acceleration same as the incline, Is that right?

Yes (to answer your last question)

I prefer the term 'keeping up' to the expression 'moving backwards' in this situation: the whole thing is that the block accelerates with the same acceleration as the incline: it does not move with respect to the incline. That's why only the coefficient of static friction ##\mu_s## is enough to answer the question.

Hmm, So In "Keeping up" terms the static friction work here not as a stopping force it makes the block keep up with the incline. It is not fully understood to me but I will try to think about it more.

Thanks for helping.

1. How does the angle of an incline affect the movement of an object?

The angle of an incline is directly related to the force of gravity acting on an object. As the angle of the incline increases, the component of gravity acting parallel to the incline also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration of the object down the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of an object and its acceleration on an incline?

According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass. On an incline, the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline is directly related to its mass, so a heavier object will experience a greater force and therefore a greater acceleration.

3. How do frictional forces affect the movement of an object on an incline?

Frictional forces act in the opposite direction of an object's movement and can slow down or even stop its motion. On an incline, frictional forces act parallel to the incline and can counteract the force of gravity, resulting in a slower acceleration or a stationary object.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction on an incline?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object while it is in motion. On an incline, the force of static friction is greater than the force of kinetic friction, as it must be overcome to start the object's movement.

5. How can we calculate the acceleration of an object on an incline?

The acceleration of an object on an incline can be calculated using the equation a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline. This equation assumes no frictional forces are acting on the object.