What is the required force to accelerate a child on a sled at 1.12 m/s2?

• Thread starter Rapta3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to move an object at a steady speed across a surface with friction you must apply a force equal to the friction.
Rapta3
Physics question, need help A.S.A.P.!

What force is needed to accelerate a child on a sled (total mass = 61.0 kg) at 1.12 m/s2?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got another one,

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 37 kg crate and the floor is 0.25, what horizontal force is required to move the crate at a steady speed across the floor?

What horizontal force is required if µk is zero?

FORCE = MASS x Acceleration.

Rapta3 said:
I got another one,

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 37 kg crate and the floor is 0.25, what horizontal force is required to move the crate at a steady speed across the floor?

What horizontal force is required if µk is zero?

to move it at a steady speed what is the sum of the forces? Another way of putting this question is what is the acceleration on the sled is the speed is CONSTANT

Once you figure that out what is the sum of the forces (applied and friction)?

I need answers guys, i appreciate you trying to help me figure it out but I have no time, I have other things to do so please help me if you can, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Is 73.2 N the correct answer for my first question?

Help! Cmon!

Yes you're right on the first one. For the second one, the force required is = [tex]\mu_s m g[/tex]

Ok help me out then here, i know F=MA but for the first question i posted, i did that and the answer got was wrong so I don't know how to get the right answer...

Friction force neglected, the force F can accelerate a child/sled of mass M to an acceleration A. I don't see how you could be wrong unless there's something in the question you didn't mention

No that's the complete question...

I didn't do the calculation but it looked right. You're off by 5N. 1.12*61 != 73.2

thats what i said, look above i got 73.2

Last edited:
Rapta3 said:
thats why i said, look above i got 73.2

I help with math and physics, not arithmetic, sorry :(

Ok someone help me with my second question, please

To move an object at a steady speed across a surface with friction you must apply a force equal to the friction. The same applies for the second part except there is no friction therefore you don't need any force.

Ok thank you.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 39 kg crate and the floor is 0.25, what horizontal force is required to move the crate at a steady speed across the floor?

If it is what you say it is, it should be .25, but its not so what else is missing?

The force of friction is equal to [tex]\mu_k mg[/tex] not just the coefficient of friction. Hope this helps.

Ok well thanks for everything... time for some sleep, ill talk to guys later, bye.

You're welcome. Glad to hear we helped you out some.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them.

2. What are the basic laws of physics?

The basic laws of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the laws of thermodynamics.

3. How is physics related to other sciences?

Physics is closely related to other sciences such as chemistry and biology, as it provides the foundation for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in these fields.

4. What are some real-life applications of physics?

Physics has many real-life applications, including in technology, medicine, and engineering. Examples include the development of new materials, medical imaging techniques, and the design of structures and machines.

5. What is the importance of studying physics?

Studying physics is important because it helps us understand the natural world and allows us to make advancements in various fields. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in many areas of life.