Physics question on Energy and Spring, any help appreciated

In summary, the maximum compression of a horizontal spring struck by a 1.0 kg puck sliding at 15 m/s on frictionless ice is 2.535 m. However, if there is a constant frictional force of 4.0 N opposing the puck's motion, the maximum compression of the spring is equal to the distance over which the frictional force acts. This means that the distance over which the spring is compressed is equal to the distance over which the puck travels before coming to a stop.
DiaperBoy35
Physics question on Energy and Spring, any help appreciated :D

Homework Statement

a. A 1.0 kg puck sliding at 15 m/s along some horizontal frictionless ice strikes and compresses a horizontal spring attached to one end of the ice rink. If the spring has a constant of 35 N/m, what is the maximum compression of the spring?

b. If in the above problem, the puck experiences a constant frictional force of 4.0 N opposing its motion beginning when it first strikes the spring, what would the maximum compression of the spring now be? (10 marks)

I am unsure about part b, as i am not sure what to use for the value of Δd as you will see underneath at my attempt

Homework Equations

-0.5mv^2 (1) + 0.5kv^2 (1)= 0.5mv^2 (1) + 0.5kv^2 (1)

- E(thermal) = Frictional force x Δd

The Attempt at a Solution

E(total 1) = E (total 2)
0.5mv^2 (1) + 0.5kv^2 (1)= 0.5mv^2 (1) + 0.5kv^2 (1) [ 0.5kv^2 (1) and 0.5mv^2 (1) equal 0]
0.5mv^2 (1) = 0.5kv^2 (1)
x = √((15^2)/35)
x = 2.535 m

[ (1) <-- denotes to initial (2)<-- denotes to final]

Part b
E(total 1) = E (total 2)
0.5mv^2 (1) + 0.5kv^2 (1)= 0.5mv^2 (1) + 0.5kv^2 (1) + E(thermal) [ 0.5kv^2 (1) and 0.5mv^2 (1) equal 0]
0.5mv^2 (1) = + 0.5kv^2 (1) + Ff Δ d

I am unsure of what to do from here

[ (1) <-- denotes to initial (2)<-- denotes to final]

Physics news on Phys.org

The amount by which the spring compresses, x, is the same as the distance over which work is done by friction, which you have called Δd.

Oh, and by the way, the elastic potential energy is given by (1/2)kx2. (It should be an x, not a v).

Oh yes, i meant kx :P
thank you for that

But why would Δd be the x value from part a?

DiaperBoy35 said:
Oh yes, i meant kx :P
thank you for that

But why would Δd be the x value from part a?

Δd is not the x value from part a. Δd is the x value from part b! :tongue2:

The reason is because the frictional force starts up at the instant that the object touches the spring. So the distance over which the spring is compressed (before the thing comes to a stop) is the same as the distance over which the friction acts.

Ohhhhhh Thank youu so much!
I was really confused with that question lol

1. What is the relationship between energy and springs in physics?

The relationship between energy and springs in physics is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that as the spring is stretched or compressed, it stores potential energy, which can then be converted into other forms of energy.

2. How does the spring constant affect the energy stored in a spring?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness constant, determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. In relation to energy, a higher spring constant means that the spring will store more potential energy for a given displacement, while a lower spring constant will store less energy.

3. Can the energy stored in a spring be changed?

Yes, the energy stored in a spring can be changed by altering the displacement or the spring constant. For example, stretching a spring further will increase the amount of potential energy stored, while compressing it less will decrease the amount of energy stored. Changing the material or dimensions of the spring can also affect the energy stored.

4. How is the energy of a spring related to its motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the energy of a spring oscillates between kinetic energy and potential energy. As the spring is stretched, potential energy increases while kinetic energy decreases, and vice versa as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. The total energy of the spring remains constant throughout the motion.

5. Can you give an example of how energy and springs are used in everyday life?

Energy and springs are used in many everyday objects, such as trampolines and pogo sticks, which use the stored energy in springs to propel the user into the air. Springs are also used in car suspensions to absorb shocks and maintain a smooth ride. Additionally, clocks and watches use springs to store and release energy to power their movements.