Why Is the Correct Answer mgh/4 in This Energy Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about potential energy and the correct way to calculate changes in potential energy. The correct approach is to consider the change in elevation of the center of mass. Both gneill and ResscuedByMary provide helpful explanations for understanding this concept.
nish123

Homework Statement

Hello All !

I have this question which I can't seem to get the correct ans to.. maybe I am missing something.. (Please refer to attachment)

Homework Equations

POtential energy = mass x g x h

The Attempt at a Solution

ok initial amt of energy = m x g x h

final energy state =( mgh/4 + mgh/4 )= mgh/ 2

so mgh - mgh/2 = mgh/2 (my ans)

apparently correct ans is mgh/4

help , pls ? thanks !

Attachments

• question.docx
    143.4 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nish123, Welcome to Physics Forums.

When dealing with changes in potential energy, you want to consider the change in elevation of the center of mass.

ahh, got it!... thanks a ton
gneill and
ResscuedByMary

point i was missing was "When dealing with changes in potential energy, you want to consider the change in elevation of the center of mass."Thanks again !

thanks ResscuedByMary i now understand your explanation too...

"When dealing with changes in potential energy, you want to consider the change in elevation of the center of mass." was told by
gneill as above... thanks both !

Hello! I understand your confusion with this question. It is important to remember that energy is always conserved, meaning that the initial energy state must equal the final energy state. In this case, the initial energy state is mgh, but the final energy state is not (mgh/4 + mgh/4). Instead, the final energy state is mgh/4, since the object is only moving up half the distance it initially did. This is because the object is moving in a circular motion, so the distance it travels up is half the distance it travels around the circle. Therefore, the correct answer is mgh/4, and your initial attempt at the solution is incorrect. I hope this helps clarify the question for you.

What is energy in physics?

Energy in physics is defined as the ability to do work or cause change. It is a physical quantity that is measured in joules (J).

What are the different types of energy in physics?

There are several types of energy in physics, including kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, and nuclear energy.

How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy is conserved through the principle of conservation of energy. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

What is the formula for calculating energy?

The formula for calculating energy is E = m x c^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This is known as Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

What is the relationship between energy and work?

Energy and work are closely related in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. Energy is the ability to do work, so when work is done, energy is transferred from one object to another.