Why Does a Car Move at Constant Velocity Despite Equal Opposing Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equal and opposite forces and how they relate to acceleration and movement. It is explained that while equal forces can cancel each other out and result in no acceleration, they can still result in movement at a constant velocity. This is due to Newton's first law, which states that a body in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. The conversation also mentions how this applies to a spacecraft and a car moving through air drag.
chembloke
I was wondering, if the force that causes a car to move in one direction is matched by the drag force opposing in the other direction, why does the car move at a constant velocity rather than moving at zero velocity. I thought that when one force opposes the other equally, there is no net movement. Please help, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I understand what you mean. I was quite confused by this very same thing when I first encountered it. Enough chatter, I'll get straight to an answer.

You seem to be confusing equal and opposite forces, and acceleration. This is a classical matter of physics that fits well within the framework of Newtons laws, namely Newtons first law. which states: (loosely)

That a body in motion will stay in motion, and a body at rest will stay at rest, unless acted on by an outside force.

If you look at the second law now which is simply the mathematical statement

F = ma (we'll stick with the simplest form here)

It simply states that a force is felt when there is acceleration.

Newton's third law which states,

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What you are missing is here in Newton's third law.

There is a force and a reaction force which cancel each other out.
Therefore, by the first law, the body should continue in it's same direction without any change because there is no acceleration present to enact a force.

Assuming there are no relativistic effects, i.e. velocities appreciable to the speed of light, that's the description you are looking for. I figure this is about what you are asking for correct?

chembloke said:
I thought that when one force opposes the other equally, there is no net movement.

No that's not correct. When the forces balance there is no acceleration but there can be movement.

For example a spacecraft traveling to Mars does not have to burn it's engine all the way there. During the cruise part of the flight it speeds along with the rocket switched off so the force acting on the rocket is zero...yet it's still moving through space.

Consider your car starting from a standstill. Initially the force due to air drag is zero (it's not moving through the air). As the car accelerates the drag forces increase until they match the thrust provided by the engine. At that point the forces balance and the car cannot accelerate any more...but it can still continue at a constant velocity.

As rethipher says the relevant equation is F=m.a

If the total Force F=0 then the acceleration a=0 but velocity doesn't figure in the equation so can be anything. What the velocity can't do is change because changing velocity is acceleration.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your help!

1. What is the difference between push and drag on a car?

Push is a force that acts on an object in the direction of its motion, while drag is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. In the context of a car, push can be thought of as the force produced by the engine to move the car forward, while drag is the resistance encountered by the car as it moves through the air.

2. How do push and drag affect the motion of a car?

Push and drag are both external forces that act on a car and can affect its acceleration and velocity. The push force from the engine helps the car to accelerate, while the drag force from air resistance can slow down the car's motion.

3. Can a car experience both push and drag at the same time?

Yes, in most cases, a car will experience both push and drag forces at the same time. The push force from the engine is usually greater than the drag force, allowing the car to continue moving forward. However, if the drag force becomes too strong (such as in strong headwinds), it can slow down or even stop the car's motion.

4. What factors can affect the amount of push and drag on a car?

The amount of push and drag on a car can be affected by several factors, including the car's speed, the size and shape of the car, and the density and viscosity of the air. Other factors, such as the condition of the car's engine and the type of terrain it is driving on, can also impact the amount of push and drag experienced.

5. How can push and drag be calculated or measured on a car?

Push and drag can be calculated by using the basic principles of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. The amount of push can be determined by measuring the force produced by the car's engine, while the amount of drag can be calculated by measuring the resistance encountered by the car as it moves through the air. These calculations can be done using various instruments and techniques, such as dynamometers and wind tunnels.