1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question, stuck

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    Problem: A glass vial containing a .016kg sample of an enzyme is cooled in an ice bath. The bath contains water and .12kg of ice. The sample has specific heat capacity 2250 J/kg k; the glass vial has mass .006kg and specific heat capacity 2800 J/kg K. How much ice melts in cooling the enzyme sample from 19.5 C to the temp of the ice bath?

My work thus far: (initial approach may be what I am finding trouble with...)

Qh2o = .12kg (4190J/kg K)(19.6 - 0 C)
    Qenz = .016(2250)(19.6 - 0 C )
    Qvial = .006(2800)(19.6 - 0 C)
    I believe this problem may involve latent heat but I am stuck as to where to go from here to find the mass of the ice that melted. Any help would would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have already calculated the total heat the various things must lose in order to go down to 0 degrees. Yes, you need the "latent heat of melting" (which is exactly the same as the "latent heat of freezing"!). That should be given as the heat required to melt 1 kg of ice. Divide the total heat by that to find out how many kg of ice it can melt.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?